Monday, December 17, 2007

Holiday Cheer and Stupid Biker Santas

Well, the stockings were finally hung last night. The house was cleaned and the mantle has been decorated. We have (gasp!) decided to forgo the Christmas tree this year. Well, we do have up a tiny one that cost me $1 several years ago, but that is it. We won't be here on Christmas Day and the tree blocks my seat on the couch from properly seeing the TV. Eid is Wednesday and I finally got my Eid cards stamped and addressed. And so, this is all I have the energy to do. It has been lots of fun actually having a minute to get into the holiday spirit, hence the reason for the red and green Photoshopped photo of me above. I couldn't resist.

Today was a mostly fabulous day. I have been going through a very difficult time at work, and finally today, the situation was resolved. I had given up hope, but my faith was once again renewed. In the end, the good guy does win. And that makes me happy. I also got a beautiful orchid and Target gift card today as a thank-you from some graduate students. And I have made all A's! I saw my favorite professor today who informed me I had made the highest grade in the class. And so, hard work does pay off. It makes me feel so much better that what we do really does matter. Working hard and doing the right thing really is important, even if it seems like it doesn't matter at the time...it most certainly does.

But then I was a little bit hurt.

Flashback: 1996, High school Anatomy class. This girl hands out birthday invitations to everyone in the class (like 25 people) except to me and one other person. And we only had 54 people in our entire grade and half of us were in that class! I was devastated. I decided then and there that my child would never hand out invitations in class.

Today: 2007, Work. This lady hands out Biker Santa toys to 6 people at work, leaving out me and a few other people. And this lady tries to get me to do her work all the time! I have helped her out so, so much. And she didn't even give me a damn $2 Biker Santa from Dollar General. And she acts like we are such good friends! And no, I don't really want a Biker Santa, per se, but regardless, it made me feel left out. I know I am hypersensitive, but I can't help it. I decided then and there I would always have gifts for everyone or for no one at my place of work.

I guess whether you are 16 or 45, some lessons people never learn. But please, listen to me, dear readers...please do not hurt someone's feelings by making them one of the few who has to go sans birthday invitation or Biker Santa.

But other than that, it was a fantastic day. And it's not over yet, as Bert and I will head out shortly to dine with friends. Friends that would most certainly give me a Biker Santa if they had one. Yesiree.

Labels: ,

posted by Anisa @ 6:20 PM |

6 comments

<< Home