Tuesday, October 30, 2007

For Today

Our vacation was beyond perfect. Our "cabin mansion" was a dream. Four fireplaces, a stunning view, etc. We plan on going back every year. We also bought a piece of wood art - a really beautiful vase made of three different types of tropical wood. We didn't know wood art existed, but it's something we could agree on! Bert likes really rustic stuff and I like more of a European style, so I compromised. After all, he let me have a toile bench in our bedroom. And the vase really is beautiful and we plan on collecting a new piece every year. We even stopped at the best outlets I have ever been to in Dawsonville, GA. I have on my new sweater from the Off Fifth outlet (Saks) that I got $120 off its regular price!

But as we returned, still on our vacation high, I received an email with devastating news. The spouse of one of my friends had died in a car accident. Bert and I had hung out with them on a few occasions, so it was really jarring to realize someone you casually knew had died. He was only 37 and his wife is close to my age. A widow in her 20's.

As I sat at the memorial service yesterday, I thought how unfair it was for a father to give a eulogy for his son. The preacher at this church spoke like a regular human being, which I liked. Instead of only saying how it's all in God's plan and we should all be rejoicing, he said that he couldn't help but ask God "Why?" It was nice to hear someone be "real" instead of asking 50 times if anyone would like to be saved. Friends of the deceased also spoke. The large church was packed. People laughed as friends shared funny anecdotes. People cried at this shocking loss.

And so, hug those you love a little tighter tonight. Again, be reminded that we are not promised tomorrow. Make the most of today.
posted by Anisa @ 2:15 PM |

0 comments

<< Home