Friday, January 04, 2008

New Year/New Chapter

Thanks for the idea, Cheryl. I love love love questionnaires.

1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before? Went to the mountains...my new favorite vacation destination!

2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions and will you make more for next year? Hmmm...I think, like everyone else, I kept them for a few weeks. I made a few this year, but haven't finished deciding on them yet. I have already eaten 4 Hershey's Kisses today, so clearly the losing weight thing hasn't begun.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Yes...my cousin had a baby a few weeks ago. I can't wait to meet him...he was sick and then I was sick and I am about to go crazy if I don't see him soon!

4. Did anyone close to you die? Yes, my grandfather (Dad's side) passed.

5. What countries did you visit? I stayed in the U.S. all year.

6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007? I don't want to get so worked up about things anymore.

7. What date from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? June 22...my birthday! It was bittersweet, as my two best friends from work were both leaving that day. I was at a fabulous weight that day and people told me I looked Jackie Kennedy-esque. That is a huge compliment to me!!

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? I did the harder of two options several times this year. Each time, it turned out well...even though I wanted to take the easy way out, I didn't let myself.

9. What was your biggest failure? Allowing myself to become stressed out to the point it affected my health. I won't do that again.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? I'm sure. I'm such a klutz and I have a perpetual sinus infection. But nothing big, thank God.

11. What was the best thing you bought? The swing for our backyard...Bert and I really enjoyed it and can't wait to use it again when it gets bearable outside.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Bert...he started his second graduate program. So proud!

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Dubya.

14. Where did most of your money go? Our house, for sure. Good ol' living expenses.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Seeing Guster in concert! It was so fab. I also was so excited for our Fall trip to Blue Ridge, GA.

16. What song will always remind you of 2007? "Dashboard" by Modest Mouse

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: Happier or sadder? Thinner or fatter? Richer or poorer? Probably about the same in every category, except a little richer I suppose.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Going downtown more and hanging with friends

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Obsessing and analyzing

20. How will you be spending Christmas? I spent Christmas with my family in Mississippi. It was fab. (See photos in previous post.)

21. Did you fall in love in 2007? Yep. I fell in love all over again Christmas Eve night after Bert and I watched "Love Actually" and he told me he loved me like the movies.

23. How many one-night stands? Zero

24. What was your favorite TV show? Grey's Anatomy and The Hills...I really got into news this year too (MSNBC).
Note: I have no idea where my mind was when I included the show Lost earlier. I have never even seen that show. So weird.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Trying not to hate...but yeah, there are definitely two new people that I really, really dislike.

Just read this quote that I am using as a mantra:
"Holding anger is a poison. It eats you from inside. We think that hating is a weapon that attacks the person who harmed us. But hatred is a curved blade. And the harm we do, we do to ourselves." - Mitch Albom in The Five People You Meet In Heaven

26. What was the best book you read? The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls...I read The Five People You Meet In Heaven last night (yep, the whole thing in an hour and a half) and it was pretty good too. Next up is A Thousand Splendid Suns.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery? Modest Mouse and The Shins

28. What did you want and get? Great piece of art for our bedroom, clothes and shoes...I am spoiled. :)

29. What did you want and not get? The lottery jackpot

30. What was your favorite film of this year? Of all the films I saw this year, I loved Blood Diamond and Je t'aime Paris the most.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? For my 27th, I had lunch with friends, a work Happy Hour and dinner with my beloved.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Tivo

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007? Loved the tops that people say look like maternity...I don't care...it was totally me. Loved it. I also enjoyed bright, funky shoes.

34. What kept you sane? God, Bert, Mama and Daddy. And Loritab. Kidding, people. Kidding.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Joaquin Phoenix

36. What political issue stirred you the most? War, human rights violations in Darfur and Saudi Arabia

38. Who was the best new person you met? I made some great new friends in grad school.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007. I learned about a bazillion life lessons in 2007. Here's a sampling:
-Just because you are a hard worker does not mean you will be appreciated. You must take pride in knowing that you are valuable and not count on others for that validation.
-Hate only hurts you.
-Don't allow work stress to bleed into other areas of your life.
-Perspective changes everything.
-Be grateful - life is good. Stop picking everything apart.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"But you can't hide standing under these stars
they know everything they know where you are
you're in your head you're all turned around with it
and they're shining down their light to bring you back again"
-"Careful" by Guster

Bert is the light that always brings me back and keeps me sane. It was a crazy year.

Here's to 2008! May it bring peace, joy and prosperity to us all!
posted by Anisa @ 1:04 PM |

3 comments

<< Home