Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Phonecrastinating

So, this morning I was watching "The Today Show" while getting ready. And yes, I was running late...as usual. Anyway, one of the segments was about people who had submitted words to Merriam-Webster that they thought should've been included in the dictionary. One of these words was:

phonecrastinate (v): to put off answering the phone until caller ID displays the incoming name and number

Katie Couric admitted she always waits until the caller ID displays the incoming name and number. I had to look within and now I must admit, me too! For those of you with caller ID, you know it becomes like an obsession. You MUST know who's calling. Why is it? Do we have to become mentally prepared? Are we screening? I know for me, it's mostly a reflex. I don't know the exact reason, but this makes me wonder, is this the sign of a bad friend? No, I don't think so, because I either a) answer the phone or b) return the call as soon as I can. I am not the kind of person who doesn't call back. All this thinking about caller ID and screening calls has me wondering...when does our telephone behavior cross the line into being a "fair-weather friend?"

So, this is what I've come up with:

A good friend

  • usually answers the phone, returns calls and returns emails (may even take a while to return a call if going through a crisis/insanity at work...we're all human!)
  • doesn't give you the feeling you're "being screened"

A fair-weather friend

  • seems to always be out of pocket and difficult to reach
  • makes you feel like they added caller ID to their telephone package just to avoid you

So, while, yes, I am a phonecrastinator, I am not doing it for any reason other than a reflex. As most of you know, I have always loved talking on the phone! And no, none of us are perfect, but friendships are such a precious thing. We should nurture them, which can especially be tough after college!

I have gone through difficult times (haven't we all!) and have really found out who my true friends are. So, here's to you, wonderful friends...thanks for answering the phone even when you knew you were going to be on for 2 hours with the latest drama!

So, I guess I will be talking to many of you soon...after I check the caller ID, of course...

:)

posted by Anisa @ 3:48 PM |

3 comments

<< Home