Wednesday, June 29, 2005

A New Diagnosis

I beg all of you: stay as far away from http://www.webmd.com as possible. WebMd is an web site that will convince you that you are dying. No really, I'm not kidding! Due to WebMd, I have thought I had a brain tumor, as well as ovarian cancer. However, after a cat scan and an ultrasound, I was assured I had in the first case a pretty bad sinus infection, and in the second case acid reflux.

WebMD will make you think if you have a headache, you could have a tumor! Or brain cancer! Or some rare disease! Achy tummy? You could have all sorts of cancers or gastrointestinal disorders. And fatigue? You could have everything. Stay off the internet when looking up your symptoms! Just go to the doctor. I have found this is absolutely the best way to go about things. If you do have something, they'll tell you. And most likely, they'll write a prescription for antibiotics for whatever infection you have. It'll clear up, and your life will go on. Save yourself the stress of WebMd.

I'm really not a hypochondriac...I just get worried. I know the chances of me having something terrible are really low, but my mind still wonders...what if? What if I'm the .002% that gets this? I don't invent not feeling good, but I am bad about jumping to conclusions. I don't need lots of medicine. I just get worried.

I think I realized I was getting out of hand when someone was describing their symptoms on television...upset stomach, fatigue, etc. I knew I had whatever they were talking about. I was convinced!

They had prostate cancer.

So, after that, I tried to realize I was probably OK. I tried to stay much calmer. It worked for about a month, and then I got on WebMD. Now I know freak things do happen, but checking every single headache on the WebMD search engine is not the smartest way to go about things. You'll give yourself a migraine.

I guess if I'm meant to have something, I'll get it. Most likely, things aren't serious. Sometimes they are, but our fate will catch us eventually and there's not a whole lot we can do. My new diagnosis for ailments is to stay off medical internet sites. The end of this life's journey will come to us all, but I choose not to speed it up by stressing myself out on WebMD.
posted by Anisa @ 1:05 PM |

9 comments

<< Home