Thursday, July 07, 2005

In Denial

I.am.drowning...in a sea of paperwork, that is. I have decided that excessive work puts people through the same cycle as the grief cycle. You see, right now I am in The Denial Phase. I have so much work to do, but here I am...blogging. I can't seem to grasp the fact that I have so much to do. I just breathed a sigh of relief when the bank statement didn't come today. I just couldn't take another thing on my plate!

What do other people do when they have so much to do? Does everyone initially go through denial? I guess so. I remember in college when I'd have a huge project, I would spend the first few days after knowing about the assignment in denial, refusing to accept I had to spend unwanted hours at the library. I know I will reach The Admission Phase and The Acceptance Phase soon, where I'll actually start plowing through this mound of work.

I can see my to-do-list right in front of my face, another thing people in denial do. We make lists because it makes us feel like we're really doing something towards our dreaded task. The contrast of black ink on white paper is staring at me, begging me to get started. At least I have to look forward to my favorite part of lists: checking off! I love to cross through things when I'm done doing them. It gives me such a sense of accomplishment.

Have you ever noticed when your supervisor comes to give you this crazily long list of things to do, your eyes want to glaze over so badly? Even physically, our bodies want to go into denial! You have to force yourself to stay focused and listen point by point to all the things you are expected to do. You wait to hear the deadline, you say that it's absolutely no problem, and then you want to scream.

Will I enter The Bartering Phase or The Anger Phase? I have no idea. I hope I'll dig through this fast enough to where I won't have time to get too angry. After all, I do get paid to work! Must.stay.focused.

So, Blogland, thank you for being with me through my Denial Phase. Here I go to number crunch, go through scarily large stacks of mail and do otherwise unpleasant tasks. I hope your day is full of pleasantries and not full of Quicken reports.

The time has come. The hour is upon me. I must grudgingly minimize Internet Explorer and hit the daily grind.
posted by Anisa @ 2:00 PM |

9 comments

<< Home