Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Frantic


Our cat Matty loves to lay in the paper recycling bin. But instead of laughing at something silly he had done, I spent an hour last night running up and down the street sobbing.

Around 8:00 pm last night, Bert and I went outside to relax on our new outdoor swing. I left the back door cracked. After about 30 minutes, we went back inside. It wasn't until 10:00 pm that I said to Bert that we hadn't seen Matty. We called for him and assumed he was asleep on our bed, one of his favorite places. He always comes...but not this time.

We both jumped up as Bert said Matty must have gotten outside. He told me when we came back in the house the back door was open - not cracked. And our glass screen door doesn't shut all the way. Matty had escaped. He is an indoor cat and I was petrified of what could happen to him. I was grateful I don't believe in declawing so at least he had the means to protect himself. Still, I was frantic.

I went through the entire house, hoping he had accidentally gotten shut in a closet. I checked every closet, under the beds, screaming for him and crying the entire time. Bert was outside and I decided that I would go out as well. Mascara ran down my face and I threw on my hot pink shoes with my pajamas. I looked ridiculous, but I did not care. I was praying the entire time, begging God to bring my little boy home. I was hysterical. By this time, it was around 10:30 pm, and I knocked on neighbor's doors who had lights on. One girl even came outside to help me.

I yelled at the top of my lungs for him, not caring who it might wake. My baby boy was missing. My adorable Mattingly...

Bert was standing in our backyard ringing the bells of Matty's favorite toys. He went down the street to look some more and I waited in the backyard. I looked inside the house, thinking how I missed Matty laying in the recycling bin. How I missed him snuggling with me and the crazy stuff he does. I thought about how empty the house would seem without him there.

"Noo-Noo, Mommy misses you!" I sobbed and yelled inside the house. (Noo-Noo is my main nickname for him these days.)

Meow.

Had I imagined it?

I turned around, and there he was, walking towards me from the backyard. I scooped him up in my arms, still sobbing.

Needless to say, Matty got fresh water and wet food last night. He even got to sleep in the bed with us.

I have felt so much love for that little creature, more than I ever knew was possible for an animal. He has been a miracle cat since the day he came home. I thank God for helping my little baby find his way back to us...twice.

Labels:

posted by Anisa @ 4:10 PM |

5 comments

<< Home