Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Overpopulation

For my job, I am auditing the Ecological Basis for Environmental Issues undergraduate course. Yes, I feel old and have tried to dress really young on days I know I am going to class. So far, so good. No one has called me ma'am. However, the professor knows me by name in this class of 300 and I sit with the TAs from my department, so I am guessing no one thinks I am 18.

Anyway, there was something so incredible that I learned in class today that I had to share it with all of you. If the world's population keeps growing at the same exponential rate, there will be 36 billion people on our planet by 2100. This is not good, people. We do not have the resources to sustain this.

The answer to this dilemma? Family planning.

And the cost to provide birth control to everyone across the world? 90 cents per day for every US taxpayer.

But, Anisa! That would be over $300 per year for me!

Well, did you know that you are already paying $115.20 per day to support the Iraq war? And $4.38 per day for the national debt?

This really concerns me because in other countries - and even our own - people are not planning their families due to financial reasons. Many people cannot afford birth control like most of you readers can. We are able to plan our families and decide on how many children we want to have...that is not the situation for everyone.

Anyway, I just felt the need to educate everyone on these alarming statistics! I truly had no idea.

Labels:

posted by Anisa @ 3:41 PM |

6 comments

<< Home