Monday, April 20, 2009

Prom '09


I remember Prom in high school very well. Both Junior and Senior year, I had a wonderful time. I had fun dates and a fabulous group of friends. I will always consider myself very lucky that I had such a great high school experience.

But I suppose the one thing high school lacked for me was a boyfriend. Oh, I wanted one so badly! Sure I had Prom dates, but they were my guy friends. Fine, one was PERHAPS a crush, but it was unrequited love at best. :)

But a ha! Fast forward 11 years. (Is it really 11 years since my Senior Prom...and 12 years since my Junior Prom?!) Bert and I chaperoned Prom where he teaches. Instead of hours and hours spent getting ready and finding the perfect dress, I ran in the door around 5pm from work and spent all of 45 minutes getting ready. I threw on a black cocktail dress, freshened up my make-up, re-straightened my hair and spritzed on some perfume. Done.

And the funny thing was I felt so much more beautiful and confident than I ever had at Prom before. There were no parents to take photos in the living room, no nervous jitters, no hours to get ready. Just self-confidence, fabulous Indian jewelery and the man I love on my arm.

Just like all Proms previous, I went out to eat with another couple before the big event, and out with friends again afterwards. The Prom itself was actually fairly boring, but as I looked out at all the other girls, I wished for them that 10 years from now, that night wouldn't be the be-all/end-all for them. Sure it's a huge event when you're in high school, but hopefully it's just a happy memory tucked away when you're an adult.

And so, Friday was all in all a wonderful night. I took a real "boyfriend" to Prom - and even spent the night with him too! ;)
posted by Anisa @ 9:39 AM |

10 comments

<< Home