Monday, December 12, 2005

When You Grow Up

When you grow up,
What would you like to be?
A mother or a father with a fine family?

You could fly to the moon,
Or perhaps be a star,
Or simply be loved for whoever you are.

For some reason, this song popped into my head. It's a song that you probably only heard if you ever took piano lessons!

But it made me think...how many of us are living our dreams? I know I always wanted to be a news anchor. And I wanted my name to be Sandra Annette Coverdale. I loved the name Sandra when I was little, and I wanted to marry David Coverdale, the lead singer of Whitesnake.

Anyway, thank goodness I didn't marry some 80's rocker. I do write for a newspaper now, so I am still in the field of journalism, which I intended. But my career isn't exactly what I had pictured.

I also remember wanting to be a pediatrician, teacher and corporate lawyer. Would I have been good at any of those jobs?

Now I am 25 and all grown up. My dream job is slowly changing, but that drive to succeed is still there.

And even though it was just a silly little piano song, I do reflect on that last line:

Or simply be loved for whoever you are.

Because in the end, that matters so much more than what it says on your business card.
posted by Anisa @ 8:50 AM |

19 comments

<< Home