Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Censored

I guess it's time for my Rite of Passage into the blogging world. It's the age-old blogging question since ancient times.

Do you censor yourself?

In this struggle, I've seen many of you leave blogging for a time because it can be so frustrating. And now, I am thinking about this question myself. Do I censor myself? Do I censor for other people?

I am not a perfect person. I am human, and I have made many mistakes in my life. I don't use this blog to share my deepest, darkest secrets with the world, but I do try to share myself. I try not to be offensive, but at some point, it's bound to happen.

For example, I am so sick and tired of people dancing around the word Christmas. People are offended that the White House puts up a Christmas Tree, and calls it that. They are acting like the White House is putting a giant cross in the lawn and putting up a neon sign proclaiming "Jesus Is Lord." They're not doing that! That would be offensive, but a freaking decorated tree is not! And furthermore, I have known Jews, Muslims and Hindus who enjoy Christmas. And now people are even offended if winter events are called Holiday Parties. Well, I just want to say that I hope all of you have a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and Happy Kwanzaa. And I expect many of you to wish me an Eid Mubarak in January. These days are celebrations, and should be enjoyed by whoever chooses to enjoy them. I am not offended. I LOVE THE HOLIDAY SEASON! See, someone probably just got offended.

All I am trying to say is that this is my space. It's my chance to give you a glimpse into the humanity that is me.

I have fallen. But I have risen again. I wish I could go back and rewrite certain parts of my life, but I can't.

This blog is my story. And if I censor myself too much, you won't know me. So while I am conscious of what I write, I try to be open.

If you take one thing from my blog, I hope it's that you truly understand that I am your fellow human. And that one connection, regardless of my religion, political beliefs or whatever should supersede all of it. Maybe if everyone understood that, this world would be a better place.
posted by Anisa @ 10:51 AM |

29 comments

<< Home