Tuesday, November 15, 2005

And I Am A Material Girl

When I was little, I would come home from school and put a little black dot above my lip. This was my Madonna Mole, and I wanted to be just like her. Actually, I wanted to be her.

She epitomized the '80's, and I was a little girl, so I couldn't really dress like her in "Like A Virgin" or anything. But I thought she was just the coolest woman in the entire universe. And "Material Girl" changed my world...that video meant glamour, beauty, sophistication.

I would try and find out anything I could about Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone Richie. I knew her full name long before the days of the internet; that's what World Almanacs are for. I just thought she was the greatest thing ever.

I remember convincing my parents to rent "Shanghai Surprise" for me with Madonna and Sean Penn. Gawd that movie was terrible. Nonetheless, I still loved her. And it was just recently I caught most of "Desperately Seeking Susan" on VH1.

But my dear Madonna turned, how shall I put it, trashy in the '90's with "Justify My Love" and "Truth Or Dare." I still remember being awake before my parents on a Saturday morning and catching "Express Yourself" on MTV. I wasn't allowed to watch it, but I couldn't help myself! I was shocked. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen.

My love affair with Madonna faded in the '90's and especially recent years. My Madonna would never kiss Britney Spears. My Madonna would never make craptastic music like "Music" (which it wasn't) and "Ray Of Light."

I just didn't like her any more.

She only got weirder with Kabbalah and such. She wanted people to call her Esther. Well, I missed Madonna! Who was this imposter?

And then, lo and behold, "Hung Up" hit the airwaves.

And again I am fascinated by her.

I stuck by Madonna during "Like A Prayer" when she was a brunette. I've been here for the births of Lourdes (Lola) and Rocco. I even hung in there when she was with Dennis Rodman.

All right, I think that's when she lost me.

But anyway, I am once again a huge Madonna fan. I can't wait to get many of her new songs for my iPod.

But I don't think she'll ever be quite the same Madonna to me without that mole. She better not get her gap tooth fixed.
posted by Anisa @ 12:29 PM |

21 comments

<< Home