Thursday, November 03, 2005

Teddy Bear With A Spiked Collar

When I am mad, I'm really mad. Actually, if I'm mad at you, you may never even know it. I'll rant about it and say all kinds of things, but I actually let things go most of the time. I'm all for peace in relationships.

But I sure do talk like I'm going to really do something!

And that is why Bert calls me a teddy bear with a spiked collar.

I do have a mean side, but I really am a big softie underneath. I think it's because I have a HUGE conscience.

Last night at 11:30 PM, we finally found out Eid ul-Fitr was today. The fasting is over, but most everyone thought it would be Friday. Hence, we took Friday off from work. This morning was crazy, trying to run around and make arrangements to be late to work. When I finally got to prayer, this woman put her baby right in front of me facing me, so I spent the entire time I prayed angry.

Dear God, I am NOT praying to this baby. I don't know why this woman is so inconsiderate. Blah Blah.

Allah Akbar.

I finally realized I better stay focused and give God some credit. He knows I'm not praying to a baby.

And then I got mad when all these women I didn't know were being so loud during the sermon. I couldn't even hear it! I clickety-clacked right on out of there and went to work.

This was my spiked collar...angry and frustruated.

But then, what did I find myself doing this morning?

Looking through web sites about how I can become more involved with the Muslim community here. Maybe I should try and make some sort of connection with this sea of unfamiliar faces.

I spend plenty of my time at other types of meetings, so I feel a tug to make some sort of connection with my brothers and sisters here. And even though I was angry this morning, I am a softie inside.

And perhaps that is the biggest lesson I've learned this Ramadan - making a connection with others like me. I have spent more time with my extended family, and I am making an effort to make new relationships and connections. And as I have done that, my faith has deepened. And so has my sense of self.

I guess being a teddy bear with a spiked collar is a good way to be. You can't run over me, but I will give in when it's not a big deal.

And lady with the baby, you did make me mad. But not so mad that I will stay away.

Because just like the rest of us, you're probably just doing the very best you can.


I'm taking the day off tomorrow, so I hope everyone has a great weekend! I'll post again Monday.
posted by Anisa @ 11:55 AM |

19 comments

<< Home