Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Access Anisa By Any Other Name...

I was reading Kiki's blog today where she talked about why she named her blog "Revolving Girl." It then hit me that I have never really shared where the title "Access Anisa" came from.

When I started blogging in May it was because I was looking for an outlet of creative expression. I knew that I loved to write, but I was worried my skills were becoming very rusty. I started out by sending out a few mass blog emails on Multiply.com, and soon after found out about Blogger. I never even really understood what a blog was before May, which is hard to believe now. It has become so much a part of my routine.

Anyway, I had to pick a name for my blog, and I had no idea what I would use. I only knew of a few other blogs, and I saw that some people used their names in their title, so I decided to do the same. It was always a dream of mine to see my name up in lights, so I figured this was my chance to spell out ANISA loud and proud.

Being obsessed with celebrities, I thought back to the television show Access Hollywood. I decided to use some alliteration and therefore came up with "Access Anisa." The idea behind the name was that through reading this blog, you would get to know me. Like Access Hollywood gives you a glimpse into the lives of people you don't know, I too, would give others a glimpse into my life. It would be an interesting way for family and friends to know what was going on with me. And soon, strangers started becoming friends. People were accessing me, that is - understanding me and knowing me. And you all know me better than some of my friends.

The "Strike A Pose" slogan of sorts comes from my love for Madonna (see previous post) and because I think we should all carry ourselves with our heads held high.

I never imagined I'd ever get more than a few comments a day, but as Access Anisa has grown, so have I. I guess something that started out as letting people understand and access me has turned into something entirely different.

I accessed myself.

For the first time in my life, I actually know me. And I don't think that would've been possible without this outlet of expression. I am not afraid of who I am; I am me. And in a little over half a year, that's been an amazing transformation.
posted by Anisa @ 12:44 PM |

14 comments

<< Home