Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Happy 25th, Alligator

Today is my cousin Omer's 25th birthday. We are exactly five months apart in age, and have quite a history together.

When we were little, we would play together for hours. He made up a game called Alligator that we used to play at my grandmother's house. He would be on the floor, his scrawny little body writhing around, trying to catch my sister and I if we dared hit the floor. We climbed on beds and couches and dressers trying to escape the Alligator.

I also remember very clearly the day I decided to bite Omer. He was sitting there, minding his own business. I came up behind him and saw his bare neck. And I bit it. He leapt off the couch in pain, and my mom was so perplexed that she had a hard time even knowing what to say to me.

Omer, I am sorry I bit you.

We eventually grew apart as we got older. We lived hours away from each other and were living our own lives. When he would come visit, we would catch up. But we were somewhere in between Alligator and adulthood, each trying to find our own way.

I got married about four months before Omer in 2004. I told Mama I had beat Omer again. I always got to do everything first.

Bert and I now live about an hour from Omer and his wife, Naima. And as the distance has shortened, our friendship has grown once again. He was there for me during a difficult time in the spring, and we have celebrated many occasions this year.

I guess somewhere in between all of that, we have become more than cousins. He is like a brother to me. He is also a friend. So no matter how much we pick on each other, I know he will always be there for me. And as he turns 25 today, I wish only the best for him. I hope this year brings much happiness and success for him.

Because quite simply, he deserves it.
posted by Anisa @ 10:58 AM |

10 comments

<< Home