Monday, September 11, 2006

A Look Back; A Look Ahead

I wasn't even going to write about today. Honestly, the thought didn't even cross my mind. But as I read other blogs and saw that it was all over the news, I knew I couldn't ignore this day. Even thought that's all I wanted to do.

It still hurts to remember.

I remember where I was when it happened. How could anyone forget? I think when it actually happened, I was getting ready for class. I didn't have the TV on because I relish in the quiet of the morning. As I got in my car, I heard Peter Jennings' voice. I hate hearing news in the morning, so I turned the station.

Same thing.

And that's when I heard the news. I headed to the sorority house to eat lunch, and everyone was mesmerized in front of the television.

And then, those who knew I was Muslim, looked at me. And they weren't smiling.

I just wanted to hide. Not only was I sad, but I also felt embarassed. It was the worst possible thing for someone to have committed these atrocious acts in the name of Islam.

I ate my lunch and went to class. We continued to watch the coverage.

Then, I went shopping and spent a ridiculous amount of money on a dress. I needed something to take my mind off what had happened.

Since that day, I knew my life would never be the same. And I was right.

I am as sad as every other American that this happened. It was horrible. But it was even worse for true Muslims, as we were never treated the same.

9/11 opened many people's eyes. It is time to continue to reform Islam. The dialogue has begun, but we still have a long way to go.

No, I don't agree with American policies on many things. But I can't change them. It doesn't matter; the murdering of the innocent will never be justified.

Those people did much more than hijack planes; they hijacked my faith.

I have a lump in my throat as I write this, and my eyes fill with tears. I've gone through many emotions in dealing with the aftermath of that day.

Today, I am a person who is proud to be a Muslim. I know what it means to be a true follower of Islam. It means loving your fellow man. It means that open dialogue is key.

True Muslims have to keep educating non-Muslims and Muslims alike about the true teachings of our religion.

And so that's just what we have to do.

I close with this passage from Sura Al-Imran in the Holy Quran. This is the Islam I know:

(3:134) "...who spend (in His way) in time of plenty and in time of hardship, and hold in check their anger, and pardon their fellow-men because God loves the doers of good..."
posted by Anisa @ 10:59 AM |

9 comments

<< Home