Wednesday, May 28, 2008

O is for Oscar

For today's installment, I shall discuss all things Oscar.


For example, we have the Academy Awards, commonly known as the Oscars. Last year, When I was a little girl, I would practice giving my acceptance speech - for Best Actress, of course. I would wear a gorgeous strapless turquoise gown. I would be in Us Weekly for Best Dressed. Yesiree.

All right, time to wake up.


Next, we have Oscar the Grouch. I mean, who doesn't love "Sesame Street?" For Christmas when I was no older than 3 years old, I got an Oscar the Grouch jack-in-the-box. I cried and cried. It terrified me. Needless to say, that gift was promptly returned to Wal-Mart.



And then, we have Oscar De La Hoya, the boxer. You know you watch too much reality TV when you find him to be most famous for being Atiana's dad from "Meet the Barkers." Oh yes. I could care less about boxing - in fact, I hate all violent sports. To me, he's just Atiana's dad who never came on the show.


Any of you from the Golden Triangle in Mississippi must be familiar with Anthony's restaurant. While my favorite is the Chicken Anthony - a fried chicken breast over a mushroom-y, creamy sauce and linguine - Bert is partial to the Chicken Oscar. I think it has something to do with hollendaise sauce.

I'm hungry.


And who can forget Oscar de la Renta, the fashion designer? Now, he is mostly known (at least to me) for making the First Lady's gowns. Me, personally? I'd much prefer to own something by Valentino or Gucci or Chanel. Lots of his stuff looks like an upscale version of Casual Corner clothing. Not that I'm knocking Casual Corner - which strangely enough, I do not think is casual at all. Didn't those stores go out of business? I do have a gorgeous red suit from there. It no longer fits. Probably never will.

And so, there you have it. O is for Oscar.

Labels:

posted by Anisa @ 1:43 PM |

8 comments

<< Home