Monday, May 05, 2008

E is for Evil Eye


Above is a picture of the Turkish Evil Eye, something I used to think was a silly superstition. According to Wikipedia, "The evil eye is a folk belief that the envy elicited by the good luck of fortunate people may result in their misfortune, whether it is envy of material possessions or of beauty, health or offspring...(it) varies between cultures."

You've probably seen lots of celebs wear the red Kabbalah bracelet. This is to ward off the evil eye. Therefore, this belief has basis in Judaism, along with Islam and in countries including Greece (where it began in 6 BC), Rome, India, Turkey, Bangladesh, Iran, Mexico and Egypt.

In my family, for example, if someone compliments you, you always say, "Masha'Allah." This means, "God has willed it." This is supposed to give praise for everything back to our Creator. I used to think it was silly to always say that. But hey, to God be the glory, right?

So, while I used to roll my eyes at the mention of the evil eye, let's just say I ordered two candles - one for home and work - with the image on it. Hey, better safe than sorry. :)

Gosh, I'm starting to act like an old person.

Labels:

posted by Anisa @ 4:04 PM |

2 comments

<< Home