Thursday, March 27, 2008

Movies I Do Not Heart

I am very sensitive. I bruise easily, I get my feelings hurt at the drop of a hat and am a picky eater, etc. Well, last night I was completely and utterly traumatized.

I was about to go to bed when I noticed this '80's movie starring Andrew McCarthy that I had never seen. James Spader was in it, but it didn't look anything like "Pretty in Pink." I clicked the INFO button my my DirecTV remote and noticed that it was a movie called "Less Than Zero." Well, it was late, so I decided to Google it right quick to see if I should record a later showing.

Big mistake.

The movie is based on a Bret Easton Ellis novel, although it doesn't have much in common with the book. Well, I read some very vivid descriptions of the book on Wikipedia, thinking it was the movie, and I really almost vomited. Unless you want to read vivid accounts of child rape and the such, DO NOT SEARCH FOR THIS MOVIE.

I feel sick thinking about it again.

I had trouble sleeping and had nightmares all night. I laid there and thought about how I was the same way when I was little. Once, I got so scared at the violence in a "Nightmare on Elm Street" movie that I convinced my sister to be the vice-president in our pretend group "Ban Inappropriate Material from the Media" or BIMM. My dad still laughs about it today. Of course, I was a little kid and I didn't understand the importance of the First Amendment, etc., but this illustrates that my sensitivity goes far back. BIMM also had a pretend sister organization NINN, or "Nudity Is Not Necessary." This one started after something else that traumatized me that I saw on TV.

And no, we did not watch a bunch of trash when we were little. These occurred during chance incidents of channel surfing.

I'm not Conservative at all, but I am highly sensitive. Don't get me wrong - I am a big believer in the First Amendment. Janet Jackson's boob - what was the big deal? It's the depiction of extreme violence and abuse that seems obscene to me. I wish that we as a society would yell about that instead of a quick boob shot.

I need to go to my "happy place" now - a.k.a. thinking about the Disney movie "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs." Once, when my sister and I were traumatized from seeing a movie - "The Vanishing" - my mom put that in for us. We were teenagers. And to this day, I have to think about it when I am traumatized from a movie.

Like right now.

Labels: ,

posted by Anisa @ 1:13 PM |

3 comments

<< Home