Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Secrets


Last night, I went with my friend and co-worker to hear the founder of PostSecret, Frank Warren, speak. I have faithfully visited this web site almost every Sunday for two years.

For those of you that don't know about PostSecret, it is truly incredible. A few years ago, Frank made up a batch of 3,000 postcards and passed them out to strangers in DC. The instructions were to use artwork and write a concise secret that you had never told anyone before. His idea was to have an art exhibit of the postcards, which he did. The exhibit was very successful - but it didn't stop there. Thousands of postcards have made their way to his mailbox from all over the world. Many, many more than the original 3,000 he made.

Every Sunday, a new set of 20 secrets are posted. He has also published four books, one of which I got him to sign.


Last night, Frank also told his secret. He didn't even realize he was keeping this a secret...and certainly didn't know that the secret was what propelled him to begin his project. He just thought he was doing something unique and artsy. One day, he saw a secret similar to his and he realized that he was holding on to this secret. He told his wife and daughter and freed himself of that secret. That is what he is encouraging with this project - to free yourself and not let your secrets hold you back in any way.

I have laughed and I have cried when reading the postcards. I think people just want to feel "normal," safe, loved and accepted. That is what the postcards mean to me. And really, I think that is something we all want.

There was one secret that Frank showed last night that has stayed with me. It said: "I have planned many times to kill myself. But each time, someone showed me kindness. Thank you for saving my life." And so, that is what I want to keep close to me. You never know what someone else's secret is - what pain they are hiding. And you could be the person to make the difference.
posted by Anisa @ 12:51 PM |

4 comments

<< Home