Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Dream

There's nothing like your own bed.

After spending the past few days at a media conference and a bed with feather pillows, it feels wonderful to be in my own home where I do not sleep on the dreaded feather pillows (I hate sinking into pillows). The hotel was fabulous, as was the conference...but still, no place like home.

Sunday I had the opportunity to tour the CNN Center. Ever since I was 7 years old, my dream has been to be an anchor. And as soon as I knew what CNN was, that's where I wanted to work. This was my first time at the CNN Center and I was thrilled. I walked inside the huge building, which looked nothing like I expected. It almost had a warehouse feel. I expected it to be much more posh. Anyway, I was taking it all in and was soon on the tallest freestanding escalator in the world, heading up to the beginning of Inside CNN.

Excitement/Sadness.

I was interested to see everything...the cramped areas where producers sat, a glimpse at a Headline News Anchor and more. I did not in any way yearn to simply work at CNN; I just wanted so much to be on TV. I have no interest in being a producer. I found myself daydreaming about what ifs. What if it was my face on that poster? What if I was part of the welcome video?

The TI-lookalike showed us around and I couldn't help but wonder what I could've done differently to end up on the other side of this tour. Don't get me wrong - I have a great job as Director of Communications for a school at a prominent university. But still, it's not exactly sitting in an anchor chair.

Is it too late? Well, in a sense. I am not at a point in my life where I would be willing to travel the world at long stretches of time. I enjoy stability and would like a family one day.

But I will never give up hope that all those "Excellent!" remarks I get for giving presentations will one day result in me being on air. Maybe I'll find an unorthodox way to get there.
posted by Anisa @ 9:13 PM |

1 comments

<< Home