Thursday, May 08, 2008

G is for Giada and Gene

Ever since we got a new TV and HDTV, I have been obsessed with FoodNetworkHD. The food is so gorgeous and you can see every texture, every crumb, etc. I don't make very much I see on there - except green beans, which now I know how to make really yummy - but it's really mostly for entertainment value and of very little practical use to me.

My favorite show on there actually has nothing to do with cooking. Maybe that's why I love it so much. Anyway, it is called "Weekend Getaways" with Giada de Laurentiis. Here is Giada, who Bert thinks is hot. Therefore, I no longer save the shows on DVR for him (just kidding):


Anyway, she travels all around the country (and in two special episodes, she goes to Greece and Italy, which made me crazy jealous) and she goes to great restaurants and tries to get a real flavor of the city. From five star eateries to dives, it is so much fun to watch. I always get really, really hungry when watching this show.

However, it is on her cooking show, "Everyday Italian" where you can see her gorgeous nail polish. No, I'm serious. I became obsessed with her nail polish. I mean, it is the perfect color. I searched on the internet and found others who shared my obsession. Dear readers, run to your local Trade Secret and purchase a bottle of Bubble Bath by OPI, Giada's nail color. It will change your life. However, here's a free tip from me: this is one of those crazy times you only need one coat. Two coats and it'll look like you painted White Out on them 5th grade style.

I think she has the cutest personality, but I do get a little tired of her pronouncing Italian words in Italian. I know, I know...she is from Italy. However, it is unbelievably annoying, which I have also found that many people out there agree with as well. She sounds just like you and me - minus your Southern accent if applicable - but then BOOM - there's another crazy Italian word. Also, she shows a ridiculous amount of cleavage. I think this is a FoodNetwork thing (except for sweet Paula Deen and Barefoot Contessa). All the young'uns show tons of cleave - if you or I had on their shirts, we would surely wear a tank under it.

But I digress. Overall, I love Giada.

Next up for my reality TV fave is Gene Simmons Family Jewels. I am obsessed with this family and think they are just the greatest thing since sliced bread.

When I was a little girl, I loved KISS. Strange, but true. I loved them because my uncle loved them and I thought he was just so fabulous...which I didn't realize then because we fought like cats and dogs, but anyway...

So, I actually grew up knowing tons of KISS songs. My fave is "Hard Luck Woman." Here is KISS, so you are sure to remember their scariness and crazy make-up:


My mom started watching the reality show on A&E and told me I should tune in, but I wasn't really interested at first because I thought they would just be all insane like "The Osbournes." Boy was I wrong. This is one of the most well-adjusted families I have ever seen. Ever. Gene lives with his live-in love Shannon Tweed, a former Playboy model. She is fabulous. They have been together for something like 25 years. Gene refuses to get married, but they act married and are so loving to each other. They never fight and they just have a great time being together. It is beautiful.

Gene and Shannon put their family first (well, except for Gene's work-a-holic-ness) and they have two fab kids: Nick and Sophie. Gene is hilarious and is obsessed with boobs and sex. Yet, he is not a disgusting human being. It's weird. You like him. He is such the unlikely protagonist. Strange but true.

On a side note, Shannon reminds me of my friend Haley because that lady is so handy and is always trying to fix stuff. She is also incredibly easygoing. Haley is also very self-reliant (and beautiful and laid-back and a great mom like Shannon too :)). Anyway, Shannon is TOTALLY not what you'd expect from a Playboy model. She is just one classy lady. And their kids are lots of fun and so respectful of the parents. This is closer to "The Cosby Show" than "The Osbournes" by far.

I love the Simmons/Tweed clan.

I would love to live with them for a week and travel the country with Giada for...well, until, she said something in Italian. Therefore, scratch that. I'm perfectly happy to sit on my couch, watch my favorite personalities, all whilst keeping my nails perfectly painted with OPI Bubble Bath.

Labels:

posted by Anisa @ 12:03 PM |

5 comments

<< Home