Thursday, January 08, 2009

Year in Review: 2008

Shamelessly stolen from Kendra...

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Graduated with my master's degree! It felt fabulous.

2. Did you keep your New Year’s Resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I usually have the same resolutions and usually kindof suck at them. My main one is always to lose 10 lbs. and I never do. Maybe this is the year!

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My cousin Anji had Sarim.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
It breaks my heart to have to say yes. My dear, sweet grandfather passed Dec. 3. I miss him every day.

5. What countries did you visit?
Just been in the good ol' U.S. of A. this year. I haven't been out of the country since 1987...hmm. Clearly, I need to do something about that. I have been in Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Florida this year. Dang, I need to travel!

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
A hot bod.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Election Day was amazing. And Dec. 3 was heartwrenching. I will always remember that I graduated Dec. 19. For better of for worse, those are the dates I will take with me.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting the MPA

9. What was your biggest failure?
Working full-time and taking classes took its toll. I didn't do enough praying, exercising or spending time with friends. I am so hopeful this will change this year.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not that I can recall, lest a sinus infection here and there. Thank God.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
I never thought I'd say this, but the 42" Sharp Aquos LCD TV and DVR. I thought it was SUCH a waste at the time, but now I'm a huge fan.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Hmmm. I would have to say my grandmother, Ammi, because her strength in her faith has helped us all keep it together.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I'll go with Dubya, Ann Coulter, Sarah Palin and Amy Winehouse.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Savings. House payment. Bills. Ya know - the usual.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Graduating! After three years, it is a huge relief. I also get really excited about going to Whole Foods, new episodes of The Hills and the election of Barack Obama. That sentence is a little bit scary, I know. But yes, I love The Hills and now The City.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
"Vida la Vida" by Coldplay and also "Mad World" by Tears for Fears. Although the latter is old, I became obsessed with it this year.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? I've had a really crappy today, so today I am sadder. :(
b) thinner or fatter? About the same.
c) richer or poorer? A tiny bit richer.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Spending time with friends, praying, exercising.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Stressing.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
Driving to Mississippi, eating a glorious dinner and opening presents with the fam.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
I've been married 4 years now, so yep.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
The Hills, Hardball, Countdown with Keith Olbermann (Gawd, I watched a lot of MSNBC election coverage), Grey's Anatomy and House.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Yes. Sad to say, but yes. HOWEVER, I am moving more and more towards indifference. In fact, I think I'm almost there!

24. What was the best book you read?
"Eat, Pray, Love" - I mean, I LOVED this book. Fantastic.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Blinker the Star. Thanks, Sara! An on another note, the web site Songza. You can listen to ANY song - for free!

26. What did you want and get?
Again, for the 500th time, to graduate.

27. What did you want and not get?
For Abbu to be alive today. I wanted it SO badly.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
"The Dark Knight"


29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
For my 28th, I went shopping at Lenox Square in Atlanta, followed by a fabulous dinner and then an R.E.M. concert.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Winning the lottery. :)

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Lots of flats, jeans and funky tops.

32. What kept you sane?
Chocolate and logging lots of phone hours with my mom.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Hugh Laurie. I'm with MSKS on this one.


34. What political issue stirred you the most?
I just got really mad about the insanity surrounding the election. The blatant lies made up about President Elect Obama were disgusting.

35. Who did you miss?
Abbu.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
I didn't meet a lot of new people this year, but I did become better friends with some that I already knew. I met some here and there, but those that have made the biggest impression are those that I already knew.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Nip it in the bud, as Barney Fife used to say. I learned that I needed to speak up early, rather than dealing with a big mess months later.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Instead of a song lyric, I will quote a verse from The Qur'an that I went to over and over this year for encouragement:

And behold, with hardship, there is relief!
Verily, with hardship there is relief!
Hence, when you are freed from distress, remain steadfast.
And unto your Sustainer turn with loving devotion.
(Qur'an: 94)

*edit: I heard "A Long December" yesterday by the Counting Crows, and if there are song lyrics that sum up 2008, these are definitely it:

And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
Maybe this year will be better than the last
I can't remember all the times I tried to tell myself
To hold on to these moments as they pass
posted by Anisa @ 4:39 PM |

6 comments

<< Home