Tuesday, August 11, 2009

No Squealing


First things first. I have several posts in me, but have been waiting to download pics. First up: whitewater rafting down the Chattooga River!

For those of you that have seen "Deliverance," this was the same river in the movie. We rafted and swam at many of the exact same sites. I was fine until I saw an Appalachian man playing the banjo. I hate that song from that movie...gives me the creeps.

Anyway, I went on this excursion as part of a leadership group I am a member of. This was for our retreat, and it was a BLAST. I usually hate retreats because they are a total waste of time. Not this one! And I was TERRIFIED to whitewater raft...but totally ended up rocking a Class 4 rapid. So much fun!

I learned a lot about myself - that I actually am more capable than I thought without Bert. I can do outdoorsy/athletic stuff even if he's not there to give me extreme amounts of support. I learned I can pull myself together and DO IT. I was proud. He was proud too.

I also became good friends with a girl in our group - also a displaced Mississippian in Georgia! So much fun. This picture above is of my group (there were around 25 of us total in different groups) with our guide. I spent the first 30 minutes of the rafting trip silent because I knew our guide was the spitting image of a celebrity.

"JAMES FRANCO!" I finally yelled out. He laughed and said he knew I was thinking really hard about something. My team was impressed my celebrity cross-reference. Usually I am much quicker, but his blond hair threw me for a bit.

Anyway, it was a great, great weekend in late July. I will definitely be back!
posted by Anisa @ 2:48 PM |

2 comments

<< Home