Monday, September 21, 2009

Eid Weekend


Bert and I had a wonderful Eid weekend together. As most of my regular readers know, Eid is the Islamic celebration after the month of Ramadan (fasting).

I must say, this is one of the best Eids I have ever had. We went to Atlanta Saturday so I could find a new outfit, and I was so happy to find something in my favorite color - hot pink! We then ate dinner with my cousins, Omer and Naima, who we were visiting to celebrate Chaand Raat. Literally "Night of the Moon," it is a celebration that takes place in the Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi cultures the night before Eid. The significance of the moon sighting is that is how you know that the next day is Eid, as it is all based on the lunar calendar.

We heard a wonderful sermon the next morning for the special Eid prayer. I wish "people" would know what we really preach. Some of the sermon's major themes were about respecting your spouse, spending time with your children, understanding the importance of community, and remembering what's really important all year through - not just during holy times.

After the sermon, we had brunch at my great-aunt and great-uncle's house. It was so nice to be with family. We came home late in the afternoon and got ready for the week. And even though it's Monday, I feel energized and happy today, as I had a fantastic weekend. I had a weekend celebrating faith and family - and really, what's more important than that?

Labels: ,

posted by Anisa @ 9:59 AM |

6 comments

<< Home