Thursday, July 14, 2005

Bismillah

Bismillah. In the name of God...and so I begin.

I've thought about writing this post for a while, but I admit...it makes me nervous. But this morning as I read my daily CNN updates, I knew I could wait no longer. I have something I want to share.

I'm Muslim.

Each and every day, it seems suicide bombings occur. Something else happens where the words "Islamic Terrorist" scream at me from the headlines. It's as if the two words couldn't possibly be separated.

These people have hijacked my faith.

The religion I was taught by my parents is anything but a religion of terror. It's a religion of peace and tolerance. I am angry at what these people have done. I am angry that each time I go pray at a mosque I wonder if my safety is threatened. I am paranoid that people will write me off as soon as they find this out about me. How would you feel if a girl you went to high school with invited all your friends to slumber parties except you just because you had a different religion? Or that two of your best friends told you that you were going to hell?

The more I've opened up to people about it, the more positive the responses have been. People are often surprised at what Muslims really believe, as opposed to the people they read about in the news. Those people twist and turn words until they can make sense out of their actions. There is no basis for terror in my religion. Please don't let the extremists paint the picture of an entire religion.

So, what do I believe? What is the true Islam? Here are a few things you might not know.

When I first met Bert, he was shocked at what Islam really was. He had no idea we worshipped the God of Abraham. Yes, we worship the same God as Jews and Christians. Allah is simply the Arabic word for God. In fact, Arabic-speaking Christians also call God Allah. We do not worship Jesus, but we do believe he was born of a virgin birth. He is revered as a prophet, and we await his second coming.

We believe we are each responsible for our own sins. Good works and charity are important. We don't believe only Muslims can go to heaven. Only God can decide who goes.

Nowhere in The Qu'ran does it say women are to be treated as second-class citizens. Women are granted many rights, including the right to own property. Keep in mind this right was granted nearly 1400 years ago.

We fast for 30 days a year, sunrise to sunset, as a reminder of how fortunate we are. It is a time of prayer and introspection. It is not intended as a means for suffering. "God does not wish for you to suffer," The Qu'ran says. Many people all over the world never get to break their fasts. We are to help them.

Mosques are not separated by race. It is a virtual rainbow of the world to go inside and pray alongside my fellow Muslims. Black, white, Asian, Hispanic, side by side. The five daily formal prayers are said in Arabic. Why? That is the language in which The Qu'ran was revealed. It has provided a sense of cohesiveness that everyone prays in the same language. There are certain words that would be lost in translation. It's important to know what you're saying and know the translation, but the prayers are said in Arabic. It's like a song to hear someone whose native tongue is Arabic say the prayers.

I just wanted to share this with all of you out there in hopes that you might not write off an entire religion. As you've read my Blog, you have seen a person, a woman, a Southerner, a wife, a mother, a pop culture lover, a writer...you've seen me.

And I wanted to share this as well.

This religion has sustained me through many hardships. I have paused many, many times in my life, laid my red Turkish prayer rug on the floor, draped a ruputa over my head and began whispering the words said by Muslims for thousands of years.

"Allah Akbar," I say, meaning God is great.

Each and every time I fold up my rug, I feel a quiet peace within. It is my prayer that people will stop using my faith as a means to harm others. It is my prayer that others won't mistreat me because of my religion.

You see, I love my religion. It is very much a part of me. I'll never forget learning how to pray by myself when I was about nine, and my dad putting a necklace around my neck that said God in Arabic to commemorate the occasion. I'll never forget the jasmine my aunt brought me that I wore in my hair for my Islamic wedding ceremony, the Nikah. I'll never forget how my grandfather hugs every single person in the family after we pray at my grandparents house on Sundays. I'll never forget how my mom, aunt and grandmother read one surah, or chapter, of The Qu'ran forty times to beg God to help me get over a difficult time in my life. I'll never forget how that prayer was answered the next day. I'll never forget the tears flowing down my mother's face as Bert became a Muslim.

I could go into a long discussion of Islamic theology, but I'm not going to do that. I am not opening this up for a debate, but if you have questions, I'll be glad to try and answer them. I have shared some of my basic beliefs with you to help you see the true Islam. I shared some of my memories with you to give you a picture of a kind and loving religion.

It is up to my fellow Muslims to step forward and show the world who we really are. I see more and more people rising to the challenge, and I know their efforts will be rewarded.

As I have become more comfortable in my own skin, I am able to hold my head higher. I know what I believe and I am proud of my faith. I am an American Muslim. And for me, that's been a wonderful gift.
posted by Anisa @ 2:05 PM |

26 comments

<< Home