Monday, July 11, 2005

Two Thumbs Up

Well, you know you're with someone special when they finally cave in and watch Steel Magnolias with you. I've been begging Bert to watch my favorite movie with me forever, and after surprising me with a copy of it on DVD for my birthday, he finally broke.

We sat there, he unsure of entering Chick Flick Land with me, and me excited to watch what I think is the best movie ever made. He sat there with me while I laughed and cried through the ups and downs of the lives of the women from that small Louisiana town. He even got a kick out of Drum setting off firecrackers to get the birds out of the trees for Shelby's wedding reception. Oh yes, even Bert admitted it is a damn fine movie.

This got me thinking...what are my favorite movies and why? What makes a movie go from the transitional "That was a great movie!" to "OMG! I must own this on DVD!"?

I think in order for movies to become right up there on our list of favorites, they must go beyond entertainment and strike a chord with us. It has to be beyond the highly entertaining National Treasure and become the inspirational Good Will Hunting. They must stir emotions in us beyond rooting for the good guy to win and the bad guy to get killed. Like in Good Will Hunting, you wanted Will to persevere above all the emotional baggage that had been holding him back. Even after the final credits roll with Elliot Smith's haunting voice, the movie stays with you.

The greatest movies are ones you don't want to end. For example, I love the movie Empire Records also. Why did I care so much for a movie about saving a record store? Because the relationships were developed. I was pulling for people to get together and succeed. I watched people realize the value of life, love and friendship. It was just the right mixture of comedy and drama, and I think that combination makes for movies that stay with us for a long time. After the movie ends, you can't help but wonder how A.J. does at art school, and if he and Corey really stay together. You care about these characters by the end of the movie.

And who could forget Sixteen Candles? Yes, it's a classic 80's movie, complete with terrible clothing and gigantic bangs, but I think there's more to it. Not only is it hilarious, but you really empathize with Samantha for her parents forgetting her birthday. And what girl doesn't melt at the end when Jake Ryan pulls up outside the church after Sam's sister's wedding? I even have that music downloaded on my iPod! That movie just epitomizes so much about teenage crushes and life in the 80's. It's a perfect happily ever after.

It's always nice to go back to some old classics when you're in the mood for a great movie. There's nothing like sitting on the couch in your pajamas, curled up under a blanket, watching your favorite movie and getting popcorn stuck between your teeth.
posted by Anisa @ 4:05 PM |

11 comments

<< Home