Monday, February 26, 2007

The Jesus Man

We went to get our grill tonight. It was my Valentine's gift to Bert, and we've just been so busy that we were finally able to get it. They assembled it at Lowe's, and I agreed to go also, even thought I had already put on my PJs. Well, we got to Lowe's and the grill wouldn't fit in the back of the CR-V.

All of a sudden, this man walked by, and said he'd take it in his truck if it was on his way. Sure enough, we lived in the same part of town. He was an older man with a kind disposition. And then he announced he was a Southern Baptist preacher and gave Bert his card.

Now, I wanted to take my grill home, but I did not want to be grilled about my religious beliefs in exchange for the kindness. All the way home, I was stressing out. First of all, I didn't even have on a bra because I did not intend on getting out of the car in front of anyone at any point of the outing. Second of all, I didn't feel like getting into a religious conversation at 8 p.m. after a long day at work followed by grad school. So, as soon as we got home, I went inside the house while the preacher man backed up our steep, narrow driveway.

I sat inside with my Chips Ahoy and waited for Bert. About 2 minutes later, he came inside.

"How did it go? Did he start trying to talk religion?" I asked, relieved I didn't have to deal.

"Not at all...I told him you don't see kindnesses like this everyday and he said 'You're welcome' and 'God bless you.'"

"What a nice Jesus man," I replied.

And so, tonight was the night that the Baptist preacher helped his Muslim neighbors. It reminded me that there are still good people out there who are kind, just because. I needed that.

Labels: ,

posted by Anisa @ 10:47 PM |

3 comments

<< Home