Thursday, July 10, 2008

X is for Xylophone

Don't you remember how in elementary school, X was always for Xylophone? I do. And I remember being in music class.

For K-2, my music teacher was Mrs. Millsaps. Her first name was Bishop and I remember thinking she was gorgeous and perfect and beautiful and had the coolest name in the world. I still remember the school song that she taught us. Oh, how I loved going to Music!

No recollection of 3rd grade Music. Strange. I have a psycho good memory, but can't remember this. At all.

But for 4-5, my music teacher was Mrs. Melby. I thought she was also perfect and beautiful and the sweetest person. I remember having so much fun in her class. One day, we all got to go around and pick different instruments to play. I was beyond excited to play the glockenspiel:


I loved all the songs she taught us. To this day, I still remember singing this song:

Christmas is coming
The goose is getting fat
Please to put a penny in an old man's hat
If you have no penny
A ha'penny will do
If you have no ha'penny, then God bless you
God bless you

Too bad that song is not politically correct and I'm sure public school kids don't sing it any more.

And there was a French song that was my absolute fave. I remember the words, but only phonetically. Even though I took French for years, I still can't seem to track it down or figure out what the heck the words are. Here is my best attempt to see if any of you randomly have any idea:

O-lay-ohn
Beau-jean-sais
Notre-Dame'
Du-cla-ray
Von-dough-ma (Vendoma?)
Von-dough-ma

Good memories. I definitely believe in the importance of music and art education. And clearly, I learned from it. I mean, did you know what a glockenspiel was?

Labels:

posted by Anisa @ 1:50 PM |

2 comments

<< Home