Monday, June 13, 2005

Cleaning Out My Closet

Once I get started cleaning, I just can't seem to stop. This past weekend, it was time to not only give the house a deep-down cleaning; it was time to re-organize everything! I have been putting off putting all my summer clothes in my closet and moving my sweaters somewhere else. I could wait no longer because my closet looked like a tornado had hit. Shoes were in a gigantic pile in the floor and the only shoes I could easily find were my hot pink heels, because of the bright color amid the array of brown and black shoes.

As I sorted through clothes and shoes and other random pieces, I would often be lost in thought, thinking of the significance of the items. My big giant wedding planning book reminded me of all the preparations that went into the biggest day of my life. I came across a sweater from The Limited that I begged for as a Christmas present. I carefully hung up the coral and white spaghetti-strap dress that I wore to my Rehearsal Dinner. I found a black halter top with sparkles that I wore to a sorority party. I saw a pair of pink pants that went from comfortably loose to horribly tight after an indulgent summer as a DC intern. I came across a pair of white lace-up wedges that have come back in style that I used to plan entire outfits around.

The list goes on and on...

I continued to clean out drawers and cabinets, staying lost in thought of days past. Cards, photographs and notes served as memories of special days, or days that became special merely because of the note itself. I cut my knee on a pin I picked up somewhere that flashed when clasped onto clothing. I thought of how when places are giving those out, they're almost as coveted as beads at Mardi Gras.

Now everything's mostly clean and the garbage has been taken out. I re-organize everything in the summer and winter and it's a big job. Although a lot has to be cleaned, I wouldn't trade the day I get to take a walk down Memory Lane. Happy or sad, it's nice to reflect on the events that bring us to this moment of our lives.

When I get ready to go to work tomorrow, it will be nice to open a closet where I can find everything. I know the closet will become messy again, and this winter it'll be nice to put away the clothes that I will wear for my one-year anniversary, my birthday and holidays. I will again be lost in thought with a smile on my face.
posted by Anisa @ 1:31 PM |

4 comments

<< Home