Friday, June 03, 2005

My Big Eccentric Indian Family

Sometimes I am convinced my life is like “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” except with Indian people. My mom moved to the United States when she was seven years old from India, and I am very proud of that part of my heritage. However, I often find myself utterly confused at the actions of many members of my family.

My grandmother’s house has every single thing you could ever possibly want or need. I still laugh when I think about what happened after my dad sprained his ankle. Hobbling to their door for Sunday lunch, my grandparents inquired as to what was wrong. Upon hearing my dad was suffering with a sprained ankle, my grandmother appeared with two sets of crutches in different sizes. Mind you, no one in my family has ever (knock on wood) broken a bone or had a fracture of any sort. Yet somehow Ammi (as we all call her) was prepared for the day someone might have discomfort in their leg. That’s just the beginning. If you’re craving chocolate, rest assured varieties with and without nuts, caramel and more are there. If you want to go for a nice stroll around the tree-lined neighborhood, she’ll dig up some tennis shoes in your size. Her home rivals the stock in your local Wal-Mart.

Mealtime isn’t simply a time to eat; it’s a time to eat a lot. Indian people equate food with love. “You only ate one plate? You don’t like it?” That’s what you’ll hear if you even attempt to enjoy a normal quantity of food. If you’re eating with an Indian family, heap on the rice, naan (bread) and kabobs. You better save room for dessert too. It’s like a rite of passage when anyone brings their new significant other over in regards to mealtime. Without fail, our unsuspecting American fiancés will go to Sunday lunch at my grandparents and leave feeling completely ill. They later have to be told that they don’t literally have to eat three full plates of food. You just have to eat what you can and heap praise upon the chef. Before you stop eating, you must say that you absolutely, positively can’t eat another bite and that was the best (insert a dish here) that you’ve ever eaten. That’s certainly not hard to do with my grandmother—it’s no secret she makes the best Indian food this side of the Atlantic.

Indian people are also the most generous people you will ever meet. If you comment, “Oh! What a lovely vase!” you will be offered it. If you compliment a certain dish at a meal, you will have the leftovers packed up for you on your way out. If you’re more than 30 minutes from home, you will be invited to stay the night. Everyone has their idiosyncrasies, but I believe they are much more pronounced in the Indian culture. Along with eccentricity in my family comes a lot of love, and that’s something I wouldn’t change for anything. I know that I have a group of people that would do anything for me, and I know they’d never arrive without a big plate of fresh Indian food.
posted by Anisa @ 4:22 PM |

2 comments

<< Home