Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Everything in Threes

You know that old saying about how everything happens in threes? I guess most of these legendary quotes that have been passed down are based in something. It definitely is a downer, though, when three things do go wrong. Wouldn't one be enough?

Over the past two days, three things have gone wrong with Bert's truck. The transmission needed new transmission fluid, the starter died and the battery died. I was being positive and supportive until the battery died, and then I wanted to look up at the sky and scream, "What did I do?"

This brings me to my next thought...do we earn our suffering? I know various religions view this differently, but I do believe some suffering is warranted and some is needless. By needless, I mean we didn't do anything to deserve it, but it comes as a test. As far as warranted suffering, I am reminded of an old saying. My mom always says a kindness is rewarded three-fold, and cruelty is repaid ten-fold. This really resonated with me. If someone does something nice for me, I do think sweet thoughts about that person and sing their praises, but if someone wrongs me, boy do I harp on that longer! And if I'm rude to someone, I almost just wait for something to happen. It always does. I like to think I get little punishments here to clean my "meanness" roster.

But then, my thoughts turn to children that are abused. Or civilians that are killed in wars. I don't understand why this happens. There is no rhyme or reason to this. Then, all my theories just seem to disappear. I can't make sense of it.

I guess all these things lead people to wondering about suffering and the meaning of life, etc. I have come to one conclusion: pursuit of happiness. Simplistic, I know, but I truly believe life is all about being happy in spite of suffering and all too often, in spite of ourselves.

The main thing I’ve learned is to not stand in the way of my own happiness. Over analyzing, running through a bunch of scenarios and “what if’s” through my head can take me away from what’s going on right now. I am the queen of thinking through entire scenarios of “If I see such and such person, I know exactly what I’ll say to them!” You know what? These situations never happen.

So, even though the Check Emissions light just came on in my car (sigh), I'm trying not to get mad about it. Does this mean everything in fours? I sure hope it'll end soon.
posted by Anisa @ 2:20 PM |

2 comments

<< Home