Tuesday, July 26, 2005

High School Daze

Finally! Last night was the new season premiere of "Laguna Beach," the MTV reality show that chronicles the life of high schoolers in "The Real Orange County." I anxiously awaited the new season. I watched every episode religiously last season and have already been told NO when I even glanced at the "Laguna Beach: Season 1" DVD collection available at Wal-Mart.

The show began with all last year's seniors returning home for Christmas break. I was so jealous as they wore tank tops and walked on the beach in December! Laguna looks gorgeous. Of course there's tons of drama. Girl loves boy who loves other girl. Other girl dates USC quarterback Matt Leinart...which they shove in your face on the show. Other rich girl buys $607 Christian Dior shoes like Jessica Simpson's on a whim. And she is careful to point out that they're $607...nouveau riche, perhaps?

Oh the life...

Have you ever noticed in reality shows or in sitcoms that there is always much more drama than in real life? I guess I expected crazy scenarios from "Beverly Hills 90201" back in the day, and I know today's "The O.C." is full of all kinds of drama. I guess I thought a supposed reality show would be more...you know...realistic.

I don't know about you, but people at my high school weren't so stereotypical. If people at my high school had acted like some of the "popular people" in this show, people wouldn't have liked them very much. Certainly there were cliques and some people were nicer than others, but no one was living in multi-million dollar mansions and flashing the latest in designer wear. People in my high school wore the lastest from J.Crew, not Gucci. And people certainly didn't talk about each other as openly as they do on "Laguna Beach." Ah, I guess they have to have something for the cameras.

I went to a small private high school...there were 54 in my graduating class. Most of the people in my grade were friends and hung out away from school. People who flaunted themselves too much or tried to act like something they weren't were put in their place. At least behind their back. I guess there was some drama going on!

No, high school wasn't the best time in my life, but it certainly wasn't the worst. I look back on it pretty fondly..mostly hanging out with friends, riding around, going to football games, etc. It was a fun time, and I really wouldn't change anything about it. OK, well I wouldn't be so dreadfully obvious about who I was crushing on. I see L.C. on "Laguna Beach" lust after Stephen and follow him around like a puppy dog...and I wince. Been there, done that.

I find it amusing that rarely are parents seen on "Laguna Beach"...I guess everyone in high school wants to hide their parents away! The kids are desperately trying to act like grown-ups. I think we've all done that too. Sometimes I wonder if I'm still just pretending...

Certainly there was drama at my high school...crushes, break-ups, friendship fights. I guess high school is like a mini soap opera. There was always something going on that was more interesting than Les Miserables and proofs in Calculus. Maybe there was more drama than I remember...

I guess we all choose how much drama we're going to get involved in. Life can be a series of ups and downs...constant craziness and havoc. Or, it can be pretty even and pretty calm.

I used to crave drama...loved it. And I wondered why I wasn't very happy much of the time...

Now I enjoy a much calmer existence. High school, college, DC...it was all like the next phase of the same thing. Each phase was increasingly dramatic, especially beginning in college. It's amazing how complicated we can make our lives. This is the first time in a long time I don't feel like everything's going by in a daze.

I'm living life to the fullest, and now I know that "fullest" doesn't mean the most drama or the most on my plate. It means taking time to enjoy my surroundings and the people who mean a lot to me. It means being grateful for what I have.

I am glad of my past experiences. Every phase of my life has taught me so much about myself and what's important to me.

And when it's 10-year high school reunion time in 2008, I'll be ready.
posted by Anisa @ 1:40 PM |

6 comments

<< Home