Monday, August 01, 2005

Crashers

So, this weekend I saw "Wedding Crashers" with Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn. It was HILARIOUS, and I highly recommend seeing it if you haven't already. The premise is that Owen and Vince crash weddings in hopes of meeting girls. Of course, someone's heartstrings are tugged, and everything that happens in the process in hilarious.

I, myself, have never crashed a wedding. I've never crashed a party. Do people really do that? Yeah, I remember some of my guy friends going to people's weddings uninvited just to take advantage of the open bar. Living in smalltown Mississippi, there was really no chance to attend a wedding where you didn't know anyone. I guess they were just going to be seen at the places where they thought the best party would be happening. I remember an uninvited guest at my wedding that my sister's roommate had invited. I'm not entirely sure how this constituted as an invitation, but lo and behold, the uninvited showed. Being the ultra-observant woman that I am, I immediately noticed her. I later asked my mom why this person was there, and my mom laughed and laughed.

"We knew you'd notice and we didn't want you to get mad!" she said through fits of laughter. "We have no idea why this person was there and why your sister's roommate thought she had the ability to invite people to your wedding."

She didn't try to pick up any men, but she sure came and enjoyed our food. Oh well...the more the merrier I guess. I just know I'd never go to someone's wedding without at least a verbal invite from the bride or groom. Bride's sister's roommate wouldn't cut it for me.

Maybe in bigger cities there are weddings where people blend in. We sent out about 250 invitations to come up with the magical 60% they say that show up. This number was the number that would actually fit in the Chapel where the wedding took place. I suppose there were about 150 or so people there, and most of them I knew. Even being at one of my best friend's sister's weddings where almost 500 people were present, someone would've noticed if an uninvited guest had been present.

I'm not trying to knock the movie...I'm just saying I think most people would notice. But I don't think anyone would care...Owen and Vince were the life of the party! They certainly could've partaken in chocolate-covered strawberries and seafood dip at my reception!

You see, Owen and Vince represent "welcome" crashers. They come, albeit uninvited, but they are fun and make the event a little better.

Then there are people that just crash your day and are in no way invited.

Take yesterday, for example. Gap had overcharged my credit card upwards of $40 for a dress that was purchased on clearance. I had already cut the tag out of the back of the dress because it flipped out whenever I wore it. By the time the bill came, the dress had been worn and enjoyed. I called customer service, but they told me the actual store would have to handle it. Well, Gap had some guest manager to help handle the Back to School rush and was your classic gay salesman. Except he wasn't nice.

He told me it was MY fault I cut the tag out. He said he had no proof that I was trying to return the same dress. I wanted to yell, "Are you trying to say I'm not a medium???" Instead I said, "So you're telling me it's MY fault my credit card was overcharged and I should've anticipated this and not cut the tag out?" He then asked me why I cut it out and I had to explain that it flipped out.

Ridiculous.

I wanted to say, "Yes, you see...I am a con artist. I go from Gap to Gap with the same dress trying to get my account credited...ooh...I'm dangerous."

Finally, he said he was going back to his Tennessee location the next day and the regular manager would handle it. I walked up to the counter and she had already credited my account PLUS given me a 10% off coupon for my trouble. All the employees were telling us that guy had made their weekend terrible.

What an unwelcome crasher.

Some people enter our lives uninvited, but we want many of them to stay. They enrich our lives. People come in our lives at all the "wrong" times, but they seem to make everything right. Some people force themselves into our lives and make themselves pests. But others leave us a little different...in a good way.

And some just make us LMAO...yes, "Wedding Crashers" is that funny. Call someone else who loves to laugh and invite them to a movie about the greatest uninviteds of all time.
posted by Anisa @ 1:31 PM |

10 comments

<< Home