Monday, August 22, 2005

Ladies Night

I spent all morning and most of the afternoon Saturday at my very first Junior League event. I woke up very sleepy and the last thing I wanted to do was get up, get dressed and put on my happy face. Saturday mornings are made for sleeping, right?

I was a little bit excited about meeting a bunch of new women. I thought the organization would be a great idea because most of the ladies joining are "young marrieds" like me. Some have children, and some don't. Most work and most are very sociable and outgoing. It took me back to sorority rush, except this time around, it was much more enjoyable. As an adult, those pressures I felt in college were gone. Everyone seemed to be at ease and grateful for the female comraderie. I know I was.

I used to complain when my friends would get boyfriends or get married because they would all of a sudden become completely anti-social. They wouldn't return calls and would never be available any more. I know being in a serious relationship definitely takes a lot of time, but it's still important to have time for friends.

I recently read a study that said people who spend time with their friends are much healthier and live longer than people who don't. I think it's important to nurture friendships and create new ones. Too often, people forget how much they enjoyed going to get dinner with a friend or talking on the phone and catching up. People are social creatures, and I was thrilled to be around a bunch of women. Women like me, in a similar phase of life.

We were all eager to form Lunch and Dinner groups in order to spend more time together. Seems all of us crave that connection.

I have been so blessed lately to find many things that have brought joy into my life. Being married, joining a women's organization and blogging are some of the things that have enriched my life beyond imagination.

And right now, I'm very much looking forward to enjoying a Ladies Night with my new group of friends.
posted by Anisa @ 12:00 PM |

5 comments

<< Home