Friday, August 19, 2005

Watching Fireworks

So, when Bert and I went to see "The Skeleton Key," this man repeatedly talked on his cell phone during the movie. He wasn't whispering. He was talking as loud as you would if you were in your car or at home talking on the phone.

I don't get it.

Well, I didn't get it because it was plain rude, but I understand his fascination with his cell phone. I'm obsessed with mine too.

I think all these little gadgets are bringing out the "kid" in adults. I just got a camera phone about two weeks ago, and I feel the need to take pictures of everything. Everything. Why I have pictures of a big leaf and my hand, I don't know. I just felt that they must be captured on film at the time. And I love that it's a flip phone and that I can download ringtones. Every time "Don't Phunk With My Heart" starts playing, I reach for the phone. I am just fascinated with it.

And my iPod? Don't even get me started. I think everyone should own an iPod. Think about it...all your favorite songs on one tiny machine! You can listen to it at the gym, in the car and even at home! Your own personal soundtrack to life is kept on it. You can put songs from CDs on it or purchase songs. I love pressing all the little buttons and whirling my finger around the volume wheel. Who came up with this stuff? Thank you, Mr. iPod Man and Mr. Camera Phone Man!

And last night, we went out with friends who had a new vehicle with a DVD player in the back seat. I was mesmerized by all the buttons. I just wanted to move all my stuff in there I was so fascinated.

But then it hit me.

I can talk on my phone all day, but it's not the same as hugging a person while telling them that you love them. I can take pictures of anything and everything, but it will never be as beautiful as the moment I saw it. I can listen to Coldplay over and over on my iPod, but it will never compare to seeing them in concert. I can watch "National Treasure" on DVD, but it will never compare to the moment I actually visited The National Archives.

It's the fact that you can watch fireworks on TV, but they don't even compare in the least to watching them under the stars. So while I love technology, I hope it will never replace the simpler things in life. I appreciate that I can keep in touch with people far away. I love listening to music and watching movies, but they can't replace the human touch and experiencing things for yourself.

I just know that I can email and call Bert all day long if something is bothering me. But the minute he walks through the door is the first time I ever truly feel better. And there's no machine that can replace that.
posted by Anisa @ 3:45 PM |

5 comments

<< Home