Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Farewell

Bob Denver, of "Gilligan's Island" fame just died at age 70. I don't know about you, but I used to watch "Gilligan's Island" every day before school when I was like 7 years old. I have seen every single episode. I have seen the movie.

I did NOT watch the reality show on TBS. Don't butcher my childhood, people.

"Now sit right back and you'll hear a tale/A tale of a fateful trip..."

I remember hearing that song and knowing that the beginning credits to some of the shows were different. I have a memory like an elephant! On some of them, the Professor, Mary Ann and Ginger were all credited on one screen. On another intro, they each had their own screen.

I could never make up my mind if I wanted to be Mary Ann or Ginger. I think I wanted to be a combination...glamorous, yet approachable. Sexy, yet cute. I loved those characters. And having the money of The Howells would've been nice too!

Although I wasn't born when that show originally aired, it still feels like it was a part of my childhood. And maybe it's not true, but it does seem like things were simpler then. At age 7, my life consisted of going to school (my mom made the bed, fixed my hair and picked out all my clothes), eating Toaster Strudels, playing with my sister, watching non-vulgar TV and begging my mom to make spaghetti for supper. At age 7, I used to pretend I was being interviewed by Barbara Walters, so there was definitely some Ginger to me!

I guess there's some of every character in all of us. We can all be a little slow to catch on like Skipper's lil' buddy, Gilligan. But I only hope to be as loved as he was - on and off the show. I admire people who leave a legacy behind, but you don't have to be famous to do so. We each choose what we leave behind.

I also want to say that sadly, the past mayor of my hometown recently passed away. This Mississippi man was an open-minded and kind person. I was fortunate enough to call him my friend. He will be missed.

I can only hope to leave a legacy like these men left behind. Although they leave behind completely different legacies, they both brought joy in the lives of those that they touched. I hope that's the kind of mark I leave too.
posted by Anisa @ 3:20 PM |

9 comments

<< Home