Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Burn, Baby, Burn

My favorite bars always end up in flames.

No, seriously, I and other former and current Washingtonians are joined in our devastation at the burning of the Capitol Lounge. I was going to link to their web site, but it's down too. It feels like the remnants of a confused young adult trying to make it in DC are no more. I have a million memories from that place. My favorite: the jukebox. My best friend, Amber, and I would play D12's "Purple Pills" whenever we would go there. And then, of course, was the night that our friend went to the jukebox with a bunch of quarters. Fifteen minutes later, he sat there with a mischievous grin as six Prince songs played in a row.

That place is gone. I just can't believe it.

It was just a few blocks from my apartment, and a favorite place to meet friends after work. Don't get me wrong...I wouldn't want to revisit that time in my life. It wasn't the best time for me, but I certainly learned a lot about myself. I guess I always thought I would go back one day, in a much more stable time in my life, put fifty cents in the jukebox and play "Purple Pills." I would smile and my life would come full circle.

No more. That simply won't ever happen.

It's the same thing that happened to me after college. There was a bar called Flo and Eddie's that was THE place to go. They had great food and a wonderful atmosphere. Lots of rumors went around after it burned to the ground. Was it an accident? No one really knows, but there's a lot of speculation. My aunt used to go there on Fridays for an appetizer when she was a newlywed. Seems everyone had fond memories of that place. I remember all sorts of good times there with friends. I can remember sitting around a big table with my group of girlfriends laughing and having a wonderful time. Don't get me wrong about this one either...I wouldn't go back to college again if I could. I guess like The Lounge, I always thought I'd go back one day. Life would come full circle, and I'd revisit the past when I was in a much better place in my life. Bert used to go there and I can't help but wonder if we walked by each other before we knew the other. It just makes me sad that I can't go back to that either.

Parts of my past have literally burned away. Apartments were thrown up on the old Flo and Eddie's land. Who knows what will become of Capitol Lounge? I remember lots of good times, but I remember not-so-good times as well. Sometimes I wonder if the universe does things symbolically. Maybe those places burning should let me know pain in my past is finally over. Maybe you don't have to go back to prove yourself. Maybe sometimes memories should stay just that.

That being said, I will really miss all the laughter and good times spent at those places. But, while they're gone, I'm still here.

And I can make new memories.
posted by Anisa @ 11:00 AM |

10 comments

<< Home