Friday, October 14, 2005

Volunteering

In the past two weeks, I have volunteered for all kinds of things. Mostly it's been cooking related, and I don't know how people create food en masse on a regular basis.

I have made:
dozens of white chocolate cranberry oatmeal cookies
turkey and swiss mini croissant sandwiches
chocolate chip pecan bars
brownies
chicken salad

Keep in mind, I never have any food like this in my house. But these past two weeks, I have apparently been in a race with Martha Stewart. And oh yeah, I cook dinner most every night too. I am so ready for the baking to be over. I must stop my waistline from expanding! I don't really mind the baking and cooking...I mind the daily struggles I face with the decadent treats!

Thank goodness Bert helps clean and shredded chicken for me. I would've had a panic attack if not for that!

He's been coming home and has often remarked that you can smell my creations before you even walk in the door. Whether it's my special chicken with a parmesan cheese breading or a big pan of brownies, I have felt very domestic lately. Between cooking and cleaning and shopping, I have only one more thing to do on my big volunteering checklist.

Tomorrow morning, I will help with the grand opening of a thrift store to benefit local victims of domestic violence. I thought long and hard about what excuse I could give to not sign up for a shift, but when I saw that everyone seemed to be doing the same, I reconsidered. I know everyone loves Saturdays, but I figure two hours of time is really not as big of a deal as I thought it was. I realized I didn't want to be one of those "excuses" people.

So whether it's my time or my cookies, I'm liking this new volunteering thing. I won't let myself become overwhelmed. I'll just do what I can.

And that means tonight, Bert's grilling.
posted by Anisa @ 9:41 AM |

10 comments

<< Home