Monday, July 28, 2008

Grandma and Grandpa

Thanks for the votes on the beard, everyone! As you know, my vote outweighs all...but, the beard is finally growing on me. I suppose Bert can keep it a little longer. :P

***

This weekend, I had the great pleasure to spend time with Bert's grandparents, two incredibly special people.


Grandma is originally from Cuba and is an amazing painter. Here is my favorite one of her paintings; it proudly hangs in our living room:


Grandpa is from Spain and is always working on cars, lawnmowers, etc. They both keep as active as possible. And the love between them...it is so apparent. They have been married 66 years and I will forever be grateful that I have had the chance to know them.

It is hard to watch those you love grow older and have increased health problems and less energy. I just hope that when I'm wrinkly and gray that those around me treat me well. After all, the elderly were once young - just like you and me. In the Indian (and Spanish) cultures, the elderly are to be treated with the utmost respect. Like me mom told me about my grandmother: "Ammi's always right, even when she's wrong." And I completely agree.

I love Bert's grandparents and appreciate so much their unselfish love. They have always treated me with kindness and in the end, that's all that really matters.

Labels:

posted by Anisa @ 10:32 AM |

4 comments

<< Home