Monday, September 08, 2008

Thirst

Another year, another month of fasting.

The first one of this year started on Labor Day, so Muslims across the world are in Week #2. Many people I know love fasting...they look forward to it and really soak in what it means to focus on God this month and work to carry that devotion throughout the year.

Me, well...so far, I have been tired, thirsty and cranky. BUT I am hanging in there. It's amazing that I can be parched all day and that first sip of sweet, cool water instantly quenches my thirst. I often think about the people in other countries that don't have access to clean water, something we take for granted. It really saddens me that there can be such poverty and such wealth in one world. Our country is so wasteful and we have so much. In fact, did you know that HALF the food in our nation goes to waste? Fasting has really made me aware of not being wasteful and being grateful for all I have.

I am also a big believer that food, water, relief, etc. should in no way be tied to religion and that we as human beings should help our fellow man simply because of that connection. No ministering, no nothing. If someone is thirsty, give them water - no questions asked.

So here I am...not even halfway through. So far, so good. It's not easy to not eat or drink from 6am-8pm, but the gifts that can be obtained make it worth it. I say my prayers and whisper to God to please help give me strength. And without fail, He always does -- whether it's fasting or something emotional I am going through or anything else. This month is definitely a journey, but one I feel blessed to embark upon.

Labels:

posted by Anisa @ 11:15 AM |

2 comments

<< Home