Friday, August 08, 2008

e-tiquette

Please just consider this a public service announcement. Hopefully it doesn't pertain to you. :)

With the advent of the internet, email usage has become extremely popular. Think about it...how often do you email rather than call? It's easy. It's quick. And you can think to yourself that you have contacted whomever you needed to contact. But - with this great invention comes issues too. Please, please read this list and change your behavior if necessary. :)

1. ALL CAPS - Please note that if you write something in ALL CAPS that you are not simply emphasizing something -- normally, this means that you are YELLING and it can come across as RUDE.

2. CC: everyone - This is a major problem. Instead of diarrhea of the mouth, people seem to have diarrhea of the email. Scenario: I email you (in a professional capacity) that something was not handled properly. At the end of the email, I tell you I know it's not your responsibility and that I am just stressed. Aforementioned email even ends in a smiley face. It is not OK for you to forward my (or anyone else's) venting to others. Do NOT (yes, I am screaming) respond to me that you are sorry I am stressed and CC everyone and their brother. Use CC sparingly, people! And if you use it, make sure it is for the right reasons - forwarding official correspondence, sending out policy changes, etc. This should be common sense and I can't go over ever possible CC scenario, but really think before you start adding your boss, your boss' boss and the accountant to every.single.email.

3. Tone - Watch your tone in emails. And cut me a little slack with mine. :) Seriously, people pick apart the tiniest thing in emails. Since people hardly professionally speak anymore, we have lost something really big: intonation. Think about it: "We need to work on this" often comes across as rude in an email, making you want to ask that person who in the hell they think they are telling you what to do. However, in person, it could have many different actual meanings. Some are rude - most are far from it.

I'm just saying.
posted by Anisa @ 12:07 PM |

3 comments

<< Home