Thursday, August 07, 2008

Rocks

I was trying to concentrate, but the sheer size of the rocks kept distracting me. Not only were they big, but they were sparkly, like tiny stars worn on perfectly-manicured hands. It was Tuesday and I was at a Jr. League committee meeting. Two and three carat-ers abounded. And that was just the center stone.

Despite the distractions, I had a perfectly nice time and was glad to catch up with a good friend - one that is so busy that she literally carries around hanging file folders with her. I am serious - in her bag, there were hanging file folders. You too can get yours at Target.

Anyway, it was just an interesting experience. I feel like I am a part of so many worlds - the Jr. League world, the graduate school world, the working world, the Democratic world, the Muslim world and on and on and on. Sometimes my worlds don't exactly fit together in a neat little package, but that's OK - as long as I stay true to myself. I will probably never be a member of a country club and I'm certainly no WASP, but I am a hard-working educated woman. And even though my ring isn't the size of a golfball, it was paid for with love. Really, more like blood, sweat and tears from my dear husband working 100 hours in one week while finishing up his master's degree. That was many moons ago.

We go to parties and we go to graduate school and we go to work and we watch news at night and I cover my head when we pray.

And that's us. And I'm so glad it is.
posted by Anisa @ 3:44 PM |

5 comments

<< Home