Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Barack the Vote


“Barack is actually Swahili for ‘that one.’ And I got my middle name from somebody who obviously didn't think I’d ever run for president.” - Barack Obama

Love his sense of humor. I'm glad he can make light of all the disgusting smears on him. He's got his eye on the prize - changing this great nation of ours. Making it the America we all know it can be.

I didn't hesitate to vote for this man. I was a supporter from the first time I ever heard him speak. I believe in him. I really do.

A lot of you I know in "real life" are voting for McCain/Palin. After all, isn't that what white people from Mississippi do? But seriously, I beg you to take some time (regardless of who you are voting for) and educate yourself as much as possible before you vote.

Please don't vote based on your pro-life or anti-gay stance. Why? Because in our country, religious beliefs are wholly irrelevant in dictating policy. They are relevant in your personal life choices, but have no place in deciding what everyone else can and cannot do. Let's leave the judging to God. Our country was founded on religious freedom. Let's keep it that way. Look around the world; it's not good when politics and religion get muddled together. At all.

Please don't vote out of fear. Muslims are not evil. I am Muslim. I know lots and lots of Muslims. None of them are terrorists. In fact, I bet we probably hate the terrorists more than you (non-Muslims) do. Why? Well, because of them, we are now hated too. Lumped right in. Yes, there are extremists. No, that is not the majority of people. Yes, our President needs to be willing to talk to other world leaders - good and bad. No, Barack Obama does not want to make BFFs with Ahmenidijad. JFK was able to talk it out; this has worked before. It can work again. Can't we at least talk before bombing? I don't think that's too much to ask.

The point is that I sincerely hope that the majority of people vote for change. We desperately need it. And P.S., please check out Snopes when you receive crazy emails instead of spreading the hate.

Remember that you are making a vote on behalf of the world. That's a huge responsibility and an amazing privilege. Please make the choice for tolerance and hope for our future. Our nation and our world desperately need it.
posted by Anisa @ 4:03 PM |

<< Home