Thursday, August 04, 2005

Ammi's Chicken

I can't wait 'til supper tonight.

When I went home for lunch, I was so excited to get to work on some chicken that I'm making for supper. This isn't any chicken, mind you, it's Ammi's chicken. Ammi is my grandmother and she makes the most delicious Indian food this side of the Atlantic. Last time I was at her house, she made Tandoori Chicken that was out.of.this.world. Before I left Mississippi to come home, I spent some time with Ammi one afternoon while she made me my very own bottle of the special spices that are used to coat the delicious chicken. I wrote everything down very carefully and listened intently as she told me the ingredients and their proportions. I held onto that bottle of spices like it was gold.

I thawed out boneless, skinless chicken breasts last night and went home to put a dry rub on the chicken that is supposed to marinate for at least two hours. These are going to get to marinated for a full six. As I got out the directions, I smiled. So many generations of my family have made this dish and I am the newest! I paid careful attention to all the ingredients I has put stars by on the list. Those are the ones Ammi told me to keep secret, and I plan on doing just that.

Maybe one day I'll have a little Indian daughter of my very own and I'll teach her how to make Indian chicken. She'll have dark hair and light skin, just like me and Ammi. I know she'll be privy to all my main recipes, but the day I teach her this one will be extra special. Generations of my family have made this dish, and I am thrilled to make my first Indian dish tonight.

I know I'll never forget that afternoon with Ammi as long as I live. She was always able to tell me the most magical stories when I was a child. She is truly an amazing woman...the most generous person you would ever hope to meet. She's tiny and strong-willed. She's beautiful and loving. She's devout and non-judgmental. She's a strong woman, and I am so proud to be her granddaughter.

Passing on this recipe to me has created a bond that is very strong...Indian people are bound by food! Family events are focused around the feast. Sundays are marked with a grand spread.

I know my chicken won't be as good as Ammi's, but I sure am going to try. As I washed the orange powder off my fingers, I couldn't help but feel a sense of accomplishment. I'm sure most of the women didn't use boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I'm sure they didn't have a cute little bottle of the spices already blended. They worked hard so that I didn't have to. They perfected a recipe that is beyond delicious.

I can't wait to finish the dish tonight. I'm serving rice and snow peas with it. I am excited to take that first bite and be transported to that afternoon in Ammi's kitchen. And, thanks to her, I'm starting a new tradition at my home with my very first Indian meal. It's a rite of passage that I'm so proud to take.

In fact, I'm proud to be anything like Ammi at all.
posted by Anisa @ 6:58 PM |

12 comments

<< Home