Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Me So Sleepy

I'm pooped.

Yesterday involved a busy day at work including giving a museum tour, attending a lunch reception and all the other day-to-day tasks. After work, I met a friend downtown and then Bert and I met friends for dinner.

(Don't panic: I've got the VCR set to record "The Real World" episode that I missed last night. The re-run is coming on this afternoon. I'll be OK.)

And when I woke up this morning, I was so exhausted. My first thoughts this morning were dreading the big process of shower/make-up/ironing/getting dressed/blow-drying hair/straightening hair, etc. It's exhausting to be a girl!

Well, actually my first thoughts were the fact that I accidentally hit Bert in my sleep again. It's horrible. This is the second time that I've done this. Last night, I dreamed he spent thousands upon thousands of dollars and I was so angry. He decided he wanted a VW Passat (Amber put this in my head!) and just bought it on the spot without even looking inside the car. He bought all this other stuff and just as I was getting mad in the dream, SMACK! Poor thing woke up, confused at what he had done. He probably figured I had another cheating dream.

Anyway, I pulled myself out of the bed late this morning and my tummy was still full from the turkey sandwich and french fries I had eaten for dinner. I just wanted to get back in the bed and go to sleep.

It really didn't matter, though. Ever since I became very grown-up-like, I've noticed I can't even sleep past 9 on Saturday! Shock! Horror! I really need a morning to sleep in, but I don't even know that I'd be able to get to that really delicious sleep that lasts till 11.

Don't get me wrong...last night was so much fun! We played trivia, and I actually knew some stuff! How I knew Henry Ford invented the assembly line or that Stephen King is the #1 author based on total book sales of all time, I have no idea. I knew all my useless knowledge had a point. We didn't place, but we named our team "The Mix Breeds" and laughed for hours. I really wanted us to be "The Gym Whores" since we all go to the gym and my girlfriend and I share mutual hatred for this chick she nicknamed "the gym whore." Instead, we opted for something else that we thought was hilarious since Bert and I are half white and half something else (he-Spanish me-Indian).

I drank so much water that when I got home that I felt like I was floating. I was so full from dinner and the appetizer of chips and queso that I couldn't even fit Diet Coke in. I forced myself to drink a glass of water. I felt gross. I could barely hold my eyes open and ran as far from the scale as possible when we got home. I knew damage had been done between the lunch reception and a late dinner. This morning confirmed my worst suspicions. Ugh.

Do you ever have days when you're just exhausted? You don't want to take out the garbage, but you do it anyway. You don't want to do anything remotely productive. You want to call into work and say, "Hi. I'm sleepy and feel that too much effort would be required to get dressed today. I'm gonna lay in the bed in my jammies, watch daytime TV and nap on and off. K?"

Why can't we call in sleepy?

I'm impressed at my level of productivity today and have promised I will drag myself to the gym after work. I'll throw something easy together for dinner, and then hopefully I'll get to bed early.

Is this what it feels like to be a grown-up?
posted by Anisa @ 5:30 PM |

13 comments

<< Home