Friday, August 05, 2005

No Crystal Ball

This has been one of those weeks where if I knew how much work was ahead, I think I would've pulled the covers over my head. (love my rhyme, don't cha?)

Each day I thought I'd accomplished tons of unforeseen tasks, but the next day seemed to hold just as many again. I have handled many projects at work and managed to keep my house spic and span. But if I'd have seen a checklist of this week, I think I would've taken a Tylenol PM and said "Night, night."

I sure am glad we don't know the future. I am so happy that as a baby I didn't know all the pain I would endure. I'm grateful I didn't know the joys that were ahead either. I think people often don't know what they can or can't handle until they actually get there.

God won't give you anything you can't handle.

Or so the saying goes...but I really think the truth of the matter is we can handle just about anything. To me, at least, this is what it means. People are resilient. We can pick up and keep going. These "things we can't handle" don't ever seem to happen. We really never have the opportunity to say, "I can't deal with this. This will destroy me." We have to stay strong, even when we don't want to. Who wants to spend a lifetime destroyed and distraught? Might as well make the moments we have the best they can be.

The joys wouldn't be as sweet if you knew they were coming. Think of some of the most wonderful surprises you have had. Who wants to know when they're getting proposed to? Who wants to know about a special gift waiting for them, for no reason at all? Who wants to know they will receive an award? Who doesn't want the joy of those wonderful moments?

Many people believe that "black magic" is a sin. Fortunetellers, tarot cards, etc. I admit I have been very tempted to have my palm read, just for the fun of it. But I really don't want what they say to get into my head. If someone tells me that I'm about to come into money or that someone close to me is about to endure a hardship, I don't want to know. Even though I know Mrs. Lamar (you know you have one of those in your town) isn't real, I know it would get into my head.

I can't seem to stay away from my horoscope though! I really only let myself check it on my birthday now, because it's always going to say great things on my special edition birthday horoscope. I'm supposed to have a fabulous year in love and in money. Who doesn't love to read that? I knew I had to step back when Sidney Omarr passed away and I was really sad. He wrote the horoscope for "The Washington Post" and I really believed everything that was written. I used to immediately get on the Post's web site and see what Sydney had predicted. If it was supposed to be a great day, I was happy and relaxed. If I was supposed to have a disagreement with a co-worker, I was careful to steer clear of controversy. You think you're reading them for fun, but they really get in your head!

All I know is that I don't know what tomorrow holds. I'm glad I didn't know all I had to do today, because everything got done without me spending all week stressing about it. I know that the weekend is ahead, and I can't predict everything that's going to happen. I have no crystal ball. I can't wait to enjoy every moment of this weekend as it comes. I plan on having a good weekend, and that positive attitude certainly ensures a certain amount of good things coming my way.

And that attitude's crystal ball enough for me.

Note: For those of you interesting in receiving email updates when this blog is updated, please scroll down the left sidebar. You will see a Blogarithm box, and you can enter your email address there. The updates are a little delayed, but it works! :)
posted by Anisa @ 7:08 PM |

3 comments

<< Home