Thursday, September 22, 2005

Went To See The Dok-ter

"Look-a-here and these them warts on mah hand," the obese redneck practically screamed at the seventy-year old man. "Yeah, that dok-ter, he put me back on that med-sin."

He spoke loudly enough where someone outside of Wal-Mart could hear him carrying on, but I had the misfortune to actually be sitting by him and the old man in the Wal-Mart pharmacy. I was there with a sinus infection, so I had a bad headache and was trying to sit there and stay focused on the In Touch I had grabbed from the magazine rack while waiting. Yes, I use Wal-Mart as a library when I'm waiting on a prescription to be filled.

Anyway, the redneck proceeded to talk and talk and talk for what seemed like hours. In actuality, it was about 20 minutes, but it was his monologue. Poor seventy-year old man didn't get a word in edgewise...I'm sure he wanted to tell him to shut up too. I really came thisclose to telling him no one cared to see his warts. No one cared about his $400 prescription he refused to get filled.

"That dok-ter said that he thought I had me a too-mer, but he cain't find it jes yet."

While the way he spoke made me want to scream, I kept my mouth shut. I guess I really shouldn't judge another person until I've walked in their shoes. Who knows how I'd act if the doctor thought I had a tumor. I'd stay freaked out all the time.

I wanted to take out all my aggressions on that man...from waiting over an hour to see the doctor to being mad at the girl in the waiting room who kept playing with her talking stuffed panda to the man in the waiting room who wanted to get his Nexium and was talking excessively loud about it to someone on his cell phone. My head hurt and somebody was going to get it.

So, I decided that I had already taken out my aggression on the fact I let myself have dessert with lunch. And I didn't say anything. And while I have often regretted saying things in anger, I have never regretted keeping my mouth shut.

And what better way to keep it shut with a mouthful of peanut butter pie?

Note: I'm going to Mississippi tonight, so there won't be a post tomorrow. I'll be back Monday. Have a great weekend!
posted by Anisa @ 3:40 PM |

7 comments

<< Home