Monday, November 30, 2009

Still Smiling

I did not take one single picture during Thanksgiving. I'm not really sure how that happened, but it did. Shame on me. However, I can provide you with a rundown of the wonderful long weekend! Read below for how our combo Thanskgiving/Eid weekend went!

Tuesday - Bert and I left at 2 p.m. for Mississippi. We got there around 8 p.m. and visited with my parents.

Wednesday - Mama and I prepared desserts (in total, we had a Lemon Glazed Bundt Cake - see previous post, Pecan Pie, Chess Pie and a Cheesecake). We prepped a few other dishes too. I visited with the most perfect and wonderful children in the world - my precious cousins Sam and Sommer!

Thursday - The big day! Mama and I cooked and cleaned all day long in preparation for the 5 p.m. feast. This Thanksgiving was unlike any other because we fasted. That's right - fasting on Thanksgiving! Why? It was the Day of Arafat, the second day of the Hajj pilgrimage. It is on this day that the pilgrims go to Mount Arafat to pray. It is said once you turn your back on the mountain, that all your sins are forgiven. And so, it is encouraged that all Muslims fast that day. We were exhausted, but it made the meal all the more delicious! I want some of that dressing right.now.

Friday - Eid al-Adha. This is the second biggest holiday in the Islamic calendar. This holiday is to commemorate the willingness of Prophet Abraham to sacrifice his son as an act of obedience to God. I'm sure you all know the story about how God put a sheep in his son's place instead. My favorite fact about Abraham is that he is the only prophet God referred to as his friend. We went to prayer in the morning, finished reading the Qur'an at my grandfather's grave and had a big Indian meal that night.

Saturday - Bert and I headed home. Did minimal damage at the Summit in Birmingham - my favorite place to shop! Huge news from this day - I learned about downs...this means I actually LIKE football because I understand it! And I am still basking in the glow of both the Mississippi State and Georgia victories!

Sunday - Cleaned, went to the gym (boy did I need to go!), saw New Moon (eh), went grocery shopping, etc.

GREAT, GREAT Thanksgiving. Can't wait until the next break...just a few weeks away!
posted by Anisa @ 10:19 AM |

1 comments

<< Home