Thursday, September 29, 2005

And It Was All Yellow

I don't even know how to begin to tell you what an amazing experience seeing Coldplay at the Philips Arena in Atlanta was last night. I am still in awe. Coldplay is my absolute favorite band in the whole world, and they do not disappoint in concert! They sound as good live as they do on their CDs. Chris Martin danced around the stage like a monkey and they dropped lots of giant yellow balloons filled with gold glitter during "Yellow." They even did a Johnny Cash tribute and played "Ring of Fire." It was amazing. Every second of it.

They played many songs from their new album, X&Y, as well as songs from their first two albums. I knew every single song and sang along with Chris Martin most of the night. I can't believe I was just there taking this picture, seeing this sight.

They played many of my favorites including "Trouble," "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face" and the one I was holding my breath for..."Clocks." You could just feel this energy in the whole place during that song.

For me, it was like I had been sucked into an image that I had seen on television years ago. When I lived in DC, I was lying in my bed one day, tired from being out too late the night before and depressed in the midst of a quarter-life crisis. I was flipping through my four channels, and there was a Coldplay concert on PBS. They were playing "Clocks," a song I had never heard before. I sat there in awe, knowing I needed to hear that song again and again. Shortly thereafter, nearly broke, I headed to Target and purchased A Rush Of Blood To The Head. I tore open the packaging as soon as I got in my car. I went through the songs until I found the one I had heard on television. The purchase had been worth every penny.

That song was my companion on many rides to Virginia to clear my head. It's one of those songs I never grew sick of. In DC, Mississippi and now Georgia, it's always been in the car. And I never change that song when it comes on the radio.

And to hear it in concert, with the lights and in person, I just couldn't believe it. It was exactly as it had been on television years ago. It made me smile, for I never thought that day years ago lying in my bed, I would be where I am today.

And just when I thought things couldn't possibly get any better, Martin talked about how much he loved Atlanta because things turned around for them after they played a show here years back. And he wanted to give something back to Atlanta.

Enter Michael Stipe.

Oh yes, the REM frontman sang while Martin played the piano. It was a moment I will never forget as long as I live. It was all surreal. The whole night was nothing short of spectacular.

In fact, it was so surreal that if I didn't have the ticket stubs to prove I was there, I may not even believe it myself.
posted by Anisa @ 10:26 AM |

13 comments

<< Home